Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oncidium jonesianum Advise?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oncidium jonesianum Advise?

I got this thing in February with a flower spike already developing on it, but all of the buds dropped off. It's by far the weirdest looking orchid I've ever seen. It grows upside down, has round, thick, needle-like leaves, tiny pseudo bublbs at the base of each leaf, and sends out a copious amount of roots. I have two new roots growing on it right now, so it's still growing and definitely alive. It's mounted on wood right now and gets sprayed every other day.

Any advise on how to get it to flower? The pictures of the blooms look amazing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi I looked it up and Oncidium jonesianum is considered a synonym of Cohniella jonesiana, considered a very hard orchid to grow successfully - everywhere you look that seems to be it's reputation. Do some googling on these two names maybe join an orchid forum and ask there if anyone has any tips.

In general however most orchids only bloom once a year if they are being cared for properly, so don't expect blooms before next winter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Info says it's a fall bloomer, so it might have just been confused. It's a low light orchid (partially why I bought it) and in a north facing window. The guys I bought it from said it was an easy grower, just really rare. It's still growing, so I'm happy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's putting up a new leaf! This thing is easy! The roots are going crazy right now.
    Also picked up a new Paph raisin pie and unlabeled Cattleya today for reasonable prices.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice! I love my Paph "raisin pie."
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw the purple flower spike and grabbed it without a second thought. Much more colorful than my "napa valley." The Cattleya is opening up with two yellow flowers with a reddish purple lip. The sepals have the same color on the tips I have no idea what it's called, but I don't care, it looks amazing!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it is growing way to go! I am not firmiliar with that one and need to go look it up. I grow a gongora and when I bloomed it for the 2nd time I braght it into my OS and they were amazed because many said it was hard but I actually neglected it by letting it get to dry and it did great infoors too. But sometimes it is just luck. Then sometimes we try to do too much. Mouths shoiuld be soaked atleast once a day and let dry. it must like the humidity too. Most mounts like it high. Just my observation.

There is a definate median of attention needed for orchids. Too much and they don't like it and too litle is detrimental too. Air movement is VERY important for any orchid. So good luck. as long as the plant is happy don't worry about the advice. because Ihave grown many diffferent than the advice. You need to learn to read the plant. That is the key. Good luck.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's growing surprisingly fast! The new leaf has grown about half an inch since I last posted. All I need to focus on with it now is getting it to bloom when the time comes.

We're growing an unknown Gongora species at Meadowview currently, along with Stanhopea xytriophora. The endured being drenched daily for a few years. I repotted them this week and they seem to be responding well. Hopefully they pull through.

My "Raisin Pie" just opened a few days ago! It's beautiful!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast