Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blue Orchid?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That blue Vanda is stunning! Much better than the unsightly gimick Phals.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fine print on the Lowes "Blue Phalaenopsis" the next flowers will be WHITE.

http://www.silvervase.com/blue-mystique-main.php next flowering will be white

http://silvervase.com/docs/IndigoMystique.pdf next flowering will be fuchsia

For a true BLUE flower you have to get:
    Thelymitra crinita aka The Long-Haired Thelymitra - The Queen Orchid - The Blue Lady Orchid
    or
    Cyanicula caerulea aka The Sky Blue Cyanicula - The Eastern Tiny Blue China Orchid

The other blue species Vanda coerulea,Rhynchostylis coelestis,etc are varying shades of bluish purple.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is very few true blue orchids. In fact there is a guy trying to breed a true blue cattleya. I have a "blue" vanda, but it doesn't bloom blue all the time. If I grow it in full sun like vanda's are supposed to be grown it comes out purple. I have to get a spike started then give it just the right light to get the blue I desire and that has only happened once.

The "Blue" phal in the link is not a blue. It is more purple.

Just looked up the Cyanicula and it is more purple/blue to me too.

The Thelymitra now is a blue and it is nice. I wonder how hard species is to get and grow.

There was an article in the AOS mag about blue orchids. There is a guy doing a breeding program to get a true blue cattelya and doing other things besides breeding.

The blue orchid is along the lines of the black orchid. There is one black orchid now thanks to a guys breeding efforts, but in actuality it is a really dark purple that looks black, and one plant fromt he group of seeds expressed the dark coloring in the entire flower. The clones of that plant are still rather expencive.

I need to find the article on the blue orchid breeding.

I found this while looking for the article online.
    APPEARANCE

The frequent use of the term “blue Cattleya” notwithstanding, the flowers of variety coerulea Cattleyas are a color that is nowhere near the primary color blue the name suggests. The reason coerulea Cattleyas are referred to as blue is the bluer than is normal color of the flowers. The flower color of "blue" Cattleyas varies widely from cross to cross and may even vary considerably between orchids from the same clone. The color can be anything from an attractive shade of pink or pink-mauve to rich shades of purple-blue. AOS judges describe “blue” Cattleyas use a variety of descriptive colors such as lilac, rose blue, blue-lavender, lavender-blue, blue-violet, blue-purple or indigo blue. From these names, it should be apparent that most 'blue' cattleyas have a considerable amount of red in the flower color giving most 'blue' cattleyeas a color that is best descibed as a bluish shade of purple.

ORIGIN
    Blue flower color is rare in orchids, and very rare in Cattleyas growing in their natural range. While growing in the natural range, "blue" Cattleya are the result of extremely infrequent mutations producing a plant that is typically called "variety coerulea" Many Cattleya species have coerulea color forms, though some species such as the yellow flowered Cattleya dowiana either doesn’t have a coerulea form due to the yellow original color or the coerulea form is extremely rare.

CHEMESTRY AND GENETICS
    In orchids, the range of colors possible for a flower is defined by a complex of anthocyanin and co-pigments within the cells of the flower while the actual color expressed is determined to a great extent by the floral pH. The blue color in many orchid flowers is known to be associated with an alkaline floral pH. Research on some blue orchid blue forms has sown that blue color increases as the floral pH becomes more alkaline. Experiments with the blue form of Phalaenopsis pulcherrima show that the pH resulting in the blue form of the flower is inherited in the ratios expected for as a single recessive gene. [1]

ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS
    Blue Cattleya breeding expert Ervin Granier has conducted research which shows that the expression of coerulea coloration is very dependent on plant nutrition in at least the Cattleya alliance orchids he tested. His findings showed that the lack of a certain nutrient may suppress the expression of coerulea coloration significantly.. Fortunately, he says, most commonly used fertilizers such as Peters or Miracle Grow contain just enough of the nutrient to assure the full development of coerulea color. Adding more of the nutrient doesn't make flowers any bluer.

[1] Robert J. Griesbach, PhD, Breeding for Blue Flowers, Orchids, May 2005 (Volume 74, Number5)
    Found this while doing more searching.

delphinidin is the anthocyanin that is "true blue", and it does not exist in orchids.
    I thought this info was impressive. They go on to talk about the Australian blue orchids. One said
    Cyanicula spp. are impossible to find for sale.

The following are more reasonable acquisitions, and only certain species or hybrids:

Thelymitra
    Diuris
    Corybas
    Leptoceras
    Caladenia
    Pterostylis (and it's subdivisions in genera)
    Of course he is talking about importing from down under. Many things are protected and very hard to obtain legally.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 'blue' Phalaenopsis are in UK garden centres too. Named Phalaenopsis Royal Blue

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are they dyed blue though? Like dying daisy's blue.
    JB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it's blue dye flushed through the pots that turns the blooms blue (have seen some of the dye still on the roots) they will not rebloom blue without the same dye treatment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Either way it is not a true blue.
    JB

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast