What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scented Cattleya Blooming

This one always puts a smile on my face...the plant is very forgiving and easy to grow,

IMG_9770-1.jpg

and its scented flowers emit an intoxicating aroma, similar to a Datura flower, when the sunlight warms them.

dvg

Purty!

Reminds me of bananas and peaches for some reason. :p

I like it!

I love the fragrant ones!!!!

Very nice Doug! I should really get more orchids, I love those flowers.

Thanks for sharing :)

Beautiful!

Do your research Carnivore12. Not all are fragrant. That happens to be a cattleya alliance there are "interesting" fragrant ones as well. I have a red Catt about to bloom that smells like black licorice. I have also bloomed some that smell like fish slime. And word to the wise. Never stick your nose to smell a bulbo echinolabium or a bulbo phal. Wow putrid. I still love the oddities though.

Thank goodness the pretty ones that are not odd do smell pleasant. And just because it is a big flower doesn't mean it will have big fragrance. My two best smelling flowers are in the small side. Den kingianum and den rigidum. Rigidum has been changed to something else but you can easily find the cross reference.

Wow! I swear I have one just like that that I haven't gotten to bloom once since I bought it. What's the secret? It likes it hot or wet to trigger blooming? I keep mine at about 70-78 and on the dry side.

Thez what plant you referring to? Most problems related to not blooming is light if the plant is growing fine. Orchids will grow fine without enough light but won't bloom. Cattleya alliance is pretty high light. Not full sun like a vanda but strong light. Full blast morning or evening. Shaded noon time. Toughly speaking.

Thanks for the kind words!

Though i'm not completely certain of the parentage of this plant, i have just been informed on another forum that this plant may indeed be Lc. Loog Tune 'Golden Apple' and that if it is, that plant has won an AM/OSROC.

He explained what all of that 'Code' meant, and i was frankly quite surprised with it all, as i haven't really delved all that deeply into the mysterious world of orchids before.

dvg

Do your research Carnivore12. Not all are fragrant. That happens to be a cattleya alliance there are "interesting" fragrant ones as well. I have a red Catt about to bloom that smells like black licorice. I have also bloomed some that smell like fish slime. And word to the wise. Never stick your nose to smell a bulbo echinolabium or a bulbo phal. Wow putrid. I still love the oddities though.

Thank goodness the pretty ones that are not odd do smell pleasant. And just because it is a big flower doesn't mean it will have big fragrance. My two best smelling flowers are in the small side. Den kingianum and den rigidum. Rigidum has been changed to something else but you can easily find the cross reference.

That's not what I meant, I was merely referring to their appearance, not the the scent. I have three orchids, none are scented really . . . Well my yellow phal does have detectable scents when the sun hits it .

I'm sure a lot of orchids would do well for you with your window exposure there Daniel.

It's frosty outside here, but with the sun shining, it's bright and warm inside and the sun's heat is making these flowers smell ever so lovely today...

...so i couldn't resist taking and posting at least one more indoor shot...

IMG_9915-1.jpg

dvg

Beautiful! I can pretty much smell them from here.

That's a really nice one! I'd love to get more Cattleyas and Paphs.

Back