User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flower spikes from an old spike ?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flower spikes from an old spike ?

Has anyone seen this before ? This is a new one for me. I have 2 Phaeleonopsis shooting up flower spikes from old, spent spikes.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup its quite common actually. Cutting 3-4 nodes up from the bottom will usually get it to activate. Often the second spike produces smaller and less flowers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It happens on occasion. Sometimes a flower spike and sometimes a Keiki - a new plant will grow from an old flower bract. My aunt showed me her Phal on Xmas and asked me why there was a new plant growing off the flower stalk, damn thing could have been cut off and potted up long ago! LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah my huge old white phal does that all the time... its actually a trick to get them to flower more often.. when the flowers from a spike die and fall off, trim it down to right above that node.. and usually flower spikes will grow from that node..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had these for years and have never seen this. Now, 2 at once.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is easy to induce a sec flower by cutting off the old nodes about an inch above the first dorment node. It is not good to do unless it is an established plant. It is a great way to prolong flowering.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what the heck? i had no idea that they did that. thats actually pretty cool. what color are those orchids? i take it that they have flowered in your care before? please keep us updated if the second spikes flower!

oh, and while we are talking about orchids, i would like to ask how to get my phal to flower. he has a living flower spike on him. it is green, and the plant seems healthy, its just that the spike isnt doing ANYTHING. he had a couple flowers and 2 buds when i got him, which was some time in the middle of summer 2011. he flowered, and opened his other 2 buds over the course of about 1-2 month, mabey more, i dont quite remember. he has grown 2 new leaves since i got him. today, the flower sp8ke still looks fine but flowerless. do you think he is hungry for some fertilizer??

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are the 2 plants that are doing this, each has 2 new spikes emerging from the old.

Phaeleonopsis - Hybrid

Phaleonopsis - Hybrid

I don't have any advice on getting yours to flower. I don't do anything to mine except water them and, they flower several times per year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast