What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mini orchids for beginner

• Thread starter riceman
  • Start date
Hi,
I need some recommendation for a beginner.Pleurothallis spp. in particular caught my fancy. Any info will be much appreciated. Thanks.

I plan to grow them in my grow rack, so it will be in high humidity and bright lights.

most pleurothallids to not appreciate full bright light conditions and do better in dappled shade.
what about temperatures? you will have more to chose from if you have highland conditions.

most pleurothallis grow relatively large, which is a shame...since they've got some amazing flowers.
i would think minature masdevallias and/or lepanthes would do well for you, as well as some platysteele.
take a look at my photo thread to help you make a choice:
http://www.orchidboard.com/community/miniatures-show-tell/51447-few-mini-flower-shots.html

most pleurothallids to not appreciate full bright light conditions and do better in dappled shade.

That can vary depending upon the source of bright light as well as just how "bright" we're talking as well as the particular species. If artificial light is the lightsource -- particularly those that do not produce a great deal of heat such as fluorescents -- many of the pleuros do very well at light intensity levels higher than one would expect. An important factor is not to judge the light intensity as your eyes see it but rather by looking at the plant's leaves, growth and blooming.

what about temperatures?

Excellant point!

you will have more to chose from if you have highland conditions.

Assuming you decide to stick with pleurothallids.

I you are really looking for Pleurothallis to start a collection, I would start with Pleurothallis grobyi I have seen it grown in many different conditions and it seems to be a pretty hardy species.

I checked out Andy's orchids as suggested and I find Aerangis spp interesting too, esp. the fragrant ones. would be great to have beauty and fragrance from the same plant.

Wow, amphirion, you've got quite a collection. Thanks for the pics.

Tolumnia have been pretty easy for me too. Bright light and mounted. Regular bloomers for me. Masdi's are nice but don't like to get hot. Bulbos and pluros doo take brighter light than one thinks like dragon says. I need to move might brighter in the GH. cam do several mini catts too. Den kingdianum would be a good and fragrant mini den. Almost anything can be easy if you learn it and give it what it wants.

Back