Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My First Orchid Show!

Getting There...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My First Orchid Show!

As many of you know, I'm up in Madison these days. A coworker of mine, who is into orchids and reefs told me that an upcoming orchid show is quite the event and even has some CP vendors (http://www.orchidguild.org/orchidquest.html).
    My girlfriend, who grows a few phals for fun, is coming with me.
    Knowing very little about orchids in general, can anyone recommend some orchids I might encounter that will be easy to grow in either a window or just a grow rack? Any types to avoid? Any tips for finding some good deals?
    Thanks,
    Kyle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll see mostly these genera;
    Phalaenopsis
    Paphiopedilum
    Cattleya
    Dendrobium
    Phragmipedium
    Dendrobium
    Encyclia
    Epidendrum
    Maxillaria

Occasionally you'll see some really rare and unusual ones.
    Personally I find Paphiopedilum the easiest to grow in a windowsill. I'm sure there will be some vendors that will have some really unusual stock.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always had the best luck with my phals and most of them are happiest in indirect light of the plant room window areas (i use tables though setup in front of the windows)...they definitely don't like full-time sun scorching them though lol. Be sure to take some pictures to share with us, I *love* orchids and am jealous of this upcoming show you're going too! I wish it was closer to me Though we have the 2013 RI Flower show coming up soon...!
    Check out my gardening journal and progress on MyFolia , my trade list at Google Docs and I look forward to learning and sharing plant knowledge!

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite! DragonsEye's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Easy to grow" is really a rather loaded question. Much depends on your growing conditions (light, temperature, RH, etc). Once we know that, it is easier to make suggestions. You may also see pleurothallids like Masdevallias.

If you go early on the first day, you will have the greatest selection to choose from. If you go near the end of the last day, you might luck out and get some plants more cheaply as some (but not all ) vendors mark some of their stock down at that time so they don't have to take it with them.
    "Blessed are the cracked….
    For they are the ones who let in the light."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Judging by the vendor list, you're bound to find some pretty interesting species from a few of those nurseries. My suggestion is to go to their various websites and find some you like. That will give you a good start to finding some that meet your culture conditions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    did you end up getting anything? i was at an orchid show on sunday and came home with 6 new orchids and three new succulents. was hoping for nepenthes but they only had ping. sethos.
    So many plants...so little time

My grow list:
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...ody-s-Growlist

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite! DragonsEye's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah you lucky devil! I see that Andy's is supposed to be there. I wish he would come to the Michigan shows. He should have some very sweet species ... though with you & your girlfriend being novices, you might want to take it easy at his booth. Most of his stuff will be mounted -- which will generally mean frequent watering and/or pretty high humidity. Looks like you will have a bunch of other vendors too that never seem to make it to this side of the pond.

Supratta will have extremely well executed fake flowers. (She makes them by hand.)

Natts always seems to have a nice selection of blooming plants.

Oakhill used to be the vendor I would send new addicts too. They would typically have nice size plants for less than most other vendors would sell for. However, they recently changed hands and I have not seen them since that occurred.
    "Blessed are the cracked….
    For they are the ones who let in the light."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonsEye View Post

Oakhill used to be the vendor I would send new addicts too. They would typically have nice size plants for less than most other vendors would sell for. However, they recently changed hands and I have not seen them since that occurred.
    As far as I know, Herman (the founder) still has a hand in the operations. I was told by the previous owners that the same quality and selection as in the past should still be expected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast