Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Look Up!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look Up!

Many people are surprised to learn about the orchids and epiphytes that are native to the Southeastern US, especially Florida. So here is a thread dedicated to some of those plants.
    [IMG]Encyclia tampensis photo 0173_zps91bdcfe1.jpg[/IMG]
    Ecyclia tampensis: Florida Butterfly Orchid; one of my favorites, found all over south FL, even as far north as St. Augustine. It is found on oaks and palms with resurrection fern and Spanish moss. Here is one in cultivation that I have.
    [IMG] photo 0303_zps61461284.jpg[/IMG]
    Another native orchid is the greenfly orchid, found in hardwood hammocks on live oak and magnolia trees. It lives even as far north as North Carolina. This one is I found in Jacksonville; in a state park I visited after viewing the eclipse today.
    [IMG] photo 100_2862_zps7996941b.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG] photo 100_2838_zps0dafeef0.jpg[/IMG]
    Two other epiphytes commonly seen in Florida include the airplant (Tillandsia bartramii) and the golden polypody fern (Phlebodium aureum)
    [IMG] photo 037_zpse76138e4.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG] photo 048_zps71f05691.jpg[/IMG]

So next time you're in the southeast, especially along the coast, take a trip to some state parks. And look up! you may find something interesting

Also, the butterfly orchid is fairly common in cultivation from reputable nurseries. Unfortunately, the Epidendrum magnolia is not, despite being very cold hardy and a nice orchid to grow outdoors year round in the proper garden zone. I have yet to find plants for sale anywhere other than ebay, which are probably poached.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool stuff - thanks for sharing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    Cool stuff - thanks for sharing!
    Thanks! They are amazing plants to see.