What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cold damaged Phrag.? ... What should I do?

• Thread starter Nanthawat
  • Start date
image_zps29ef84ea.jpg

image_zps3a540c7f.jpg

We had a cold snap a week ago, but these two were in my house by the window (about 40f at the coldest)
I am almost sure that this is cold damage on my phragmipedium. My other orchids are fine but these, the only two phrags thayci have, are doing this.
What should I do?

Thank you.

Not sure there is anything you can do, the damage is already done, just make sure that they have proper conditions from this point on and hope. I received a Phrag flask this winter that was improperly packed and lost about 1/3 of them so far to the same thing.

Best of luck to you.

I think those are beyond rescue. Sorry.

Lesson well learned.... no more Phragmipedium ;)

Keep them -- they may pop up a keikei. I have a few that were cold damaged. I eventually cut the cold damage off and now they're doing well. On my most cold-damaged one, I left all leaves on since it was 90% damaged or so, but the very center of it and an entire keikei were unharmed (for the most part) and they're growing back from that.

There's hope, keep them warm and watered.

Looks like it got the meristem, and I have serious doubts that it will make it. There's no harm in keeping it around--I have revived leafless Phals from small buds, but that was from sunburn and not freezing (meaning the meristem was protected by the leaves that burned).

I'll keep it around, if anything, it will lure gnats for my Nepenthes.

Lesson well learned.... no more Phragmipedium ;)

It's easier to pick plants for your growing area than trying to change your growing area to suit your plants! My Stanhopea jenischiana is hanging less than 6" from a window that was pretty heavily frosted on the inside a few days ago. The thermometer across the room read 44F. If your grow area gets cold in the winter, get some orchids that like to be cold in the winter.

Back