Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tea cup orchid questions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tea cup orchid questions

So I got this orchid a week before Christmas and I hasn't grown at all. I deffenetly was not in the best shape when I got it. It came from a big box store on discount. Shouldn't it be growing new leaves and or flowers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They aren't the fastest growing plants under the best of circumstances. I would expect at least the beginning of a new leaf. Describe the care you give it.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As the flowers drop. don't cut the stalk off it can bloom again off old cane. If part of it goes brown you can cut it at the next green node. And water once a week.and fertilize every other week

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watering on a set schedule before you figure out how fast your plant uses water in the particular circumstances you keep it under is asking for trouble. I notice that the plant is actually in a transparent pot with an outer decorative pot. The way to water a Phal is to watch the roots. When they're watered they turn green, and when dry they turn silver. Always wait until the roots have turned silver before watering.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never fertilized it and I water it about once a week it's in a west facing window

Subrosa that is a good tip I've never read that one on line

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find it easiest to fertilize lightly at every watering. I use 1/2 tablespoon of Better Gro per 5 gal bucket of ro water.
    Last edited by SubRosa; 02-07-2015 at 01:01 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Their progenitors originated in very warm and humid tropical regions. Prolonged exposure to low humidity (below 60% R.H.) and temperatures below 70F can cause them damage - flower, leaf drop. If cool/cold water is splashed on their leaves it can cause mesophyll collapse. They also take the lowest light levels of any orchid group.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite! DragonsEye's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flowering is an energy expensive activity from a plant's point of view. During flowering, energy is required to maintain the inflorescence. As such, it is not uncommon for phals (or most orchids for that matter) to undergo a rest period after flowering. During this rest, the plant begins rebuilding its energy reserves until enough energy to recommence growth has been achieved. The fact that you obtained the plant from a BBS -- where lighting conditions were likely tantamount to having been stored in a closet -- and since it was "not in the best shape when I got it," would strongly indicate that any energy reserves it did have before reaching the store were long depleted. Recovering from a BBS's "tender care" could take a while.

In addition, you have not answered Subrosa's original request: "Describe the care you give it." There is a LOT more to a plant's care than just the watering regime which can affect the plant.
    • What media is being used?
    • What condition is the media in?
    • Do you leave the plant in that cache pot when you water it and do you drain the pot afterwards?
    • In what condition are the roots in the pot?
    • What are you using as a light source/where do you keep the plant?
    • At what temperature (day & night) do you keep your home?

All of these factors can impact the plant's health and its growth. More detailed info (and pictures of its roots if you can) would better enable people to give you advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Clemens View Post
    Prolonged exposure to low humidity (below 60% R.H.) and temperatures below 70F can cause them damage - flower, leaf drop.
    Not necessarily Joseph. I have found that many orchids (including phals) can handle my abysmally low winter RH (20-33%) with no problem at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Clemens View Post
    They also take the lowest light levels of any orchid group.
    That is incorrect, sir. Many of the jewel orchids, like Haemaria (Ludisia) discolor actually hold that place. Similarly there are some members of the Pleurothallid Alliance that handle less than phal levels as well. Also, even among the phals there are species (and as a result some hybrids) that require light levels more in the range of Oncidium light levels ("medium" light) in order to do well and bloom.
    Last edited by DragonsEye; 02-07-2015 at 02:10 PM.
    "Blessed are the cracked….
    For they are the ones who let in the light."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast