Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Australian Terrestrial Orchids

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're just starting to wake up but they're fresh imports. They're still tuned in to Southern Hemisphere winters. They'll be acclimated in the same way I do my tuberous Drosera. They'll have a shortened growing season followed by a shortened dormancy. With any luck, I'll see flowers next winter.

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite! DragonsEye's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theplantman View Post
    Those bulbs are so strangely shaped....
    Indeed. The Caladenia flava tuber looks like a sperm cell. All it needs is to start whipping that long strand like a flagellum.
    "Blessed are the cracked….
    For they are the ones who let in the light."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonsEye View Post
    Indeed. The Caladenia flava tuber looks like a sperm cell. All it needs is to start whipping that long strand like a flagellum.
    Which when you consider the fact that the Caladenia prefers the driest conditions of the four makes perfect sense. Gotta get that food put away where it won't rot!
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've started your collection with some tricky species. The C. flava and the Elythranthera in particular are notoriously difficult to grow, even by the so-called expert growers down here.

Most growers here use rather elaborate substrates so it will be interesting to see how you go.

Currently I grow around 200 species\forms.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The grower I got them from considers them only moderately difficult. I plan on growing them in a mix of peat, sand and eucalyptus leaves. I've read that many of these species are also highly dependant on fungi. I will be adding Trichoderma along with many species of mycorrhizae into the mix for these orchids. I'm not sure what effects (if any) the possible allelopathic tendencies of the eucalyptus leaves will have on the fungus but time will tell I guess.

Is there a mix that you recommend or prefer ?

200 different ones ?!?!? I sure hope you plan on posting some photos on here once they're up and flowering ! I think I speak for everyone when I say "I'd LOVE to see them !!!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Johnny what are you using as a starter for the mycorrhiza? I planned on taking a bit of media from each of my other terrestrials and using that.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be doing the same thing John. Shredding up some lfs that's already infused with the stuff in addition to adding Great White and some Trichoderma atroviride.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where do you get the trich?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast