User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking to get into orchids, any recommendations?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg View Post
    You missed out Eleorchis japonica Johnny, both pink and white flowered.
    I grow the pink flowered variety actually. It's almost non existant in cultivation over here though.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a shame, it's really a good little bog orchid.

Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice as always Fred. The white form will be joining the collection soon.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SFLguy View Post
    For the sarrs etc, why not try some grass pink orchids
    Oh and if you wanted a non orchid flower, what about Lilium Catesbaei?
    I ordered a few days ago, and now have a grass pink and crane orchid. I was going to get a Lilium, but I have limited room in the pot. Maybe later.
    Quote Originally Posted by SubRosa View Post
    Crane Orchids and VFTs are not the best choices for a terrarium because being temperate species they require a cold winter dormancy. Dracula are a good choice providing you can meet the temperature requirements for the species you select. Most require highland conditions.A couple of orchids I personally find easy in a terrarium environment are Haraella odorata, Ceratostylis rubra, and Aerangis citrata.
    I think you misunderstood. I meant one that would go well with VFT in VFT environment, not that the VFT and the orchid would be in the terrarium with the Nepenthes.
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg View Post
    You missed out Eleorchis japonica Johnny, both pink and white flowered.
    I tried looking for those. No luck in the States.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know the perfect orchid for a carnivorous plant grower! Bulbophyllums! Not only are they easy to grow, and thrive under really humid conditions, they produce very bizarre and beautiful flowers that smell anywhere between carrion to mushrooms. When they flower they'll attract food for your carnivorous plants!

I am currently growing a Bulbophyllum blumei. But I've always wanted to try a B. echinolabium

On the other hand, if you're willing to try a succulent, Stapeliads are easy to grow and produce flowers like these. They also would attract tons of food for your carnivorous plants. If I didn't live in a desert and could grow a ton of Carnivores, that sort of set up would make me smile with efficiency.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidgrowspings View Post
    I know the perfect orchid for a carnivorous plant grower! Bulbophyllums! Not only are they easy to grow, and thrive under really humid conditions, they produce very bizarre and beautiful flowers that smell anywhere between carrion to mushrooms. When they flower they'll attract food for your carnivorous plants!

I am currently growing a Bulbophyllum blumei. But I've always wanted to try a B. echinolabium

On the other hand, if you're willing to try a succulent, Stapeliads are easy to grow and produce flowers like these. They also would attract tons of food for your carnivorous plants. If I didn't live in a desert and could grow a ton of Carnivores, that sort of set up would make me smile with efficiency.
    I'll look into those for the terrarium, thanks. I have some desert plants also, so I'll look into Stapeliads as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you try to grow Stapeliads, I've found that they do really well in a very shallow, wide pot, not quite as shallow as a bonsai pot, but definitely something that is wider than deep. I use a chunky cactus soil and then throw in an little bit extra pumice. I also lay a layer of crocking (clay pot shards) at the bottom of the pot to make sure it drains really well. When the temperatures go into +85 you can water them frequently and they'll branch out sideways and then root their branches into the soil. Around late summer you get the flowers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12