What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking to get into orchids, any recommendations?

So my terrarium and outdoor pots look kind of bland, and I've always found orchids interesting. I noticed that they seem to have similar nutrient and soil requirements to CPs, so I was thinking of growing a few with CPs.

I was thinking of a crane orchid for venus flytraps and sarracenia, and maybe a Drac in the terrarium with the nepenthes.(I am worried about the bright grow lights, but the pitchers seem fine with them and they shouldn't be in direct light either. It seems grow lights don't have that issue.

I don't have experience with crane orchids but I do with draculas. As long as the humidity in the tank is high and they're is a drop in temperature at least into the high 50s if not lower you should be good to go. Also, they do the best in situations with good air movement and high humidity that's when they really flourish...hope this helps :)

For the sarrs etc, why not try some grass pink orchids
Oh and if you wanted a non orchid flower, what about Lilium Catesbaei?

I'm a big fan of Brassovola nodosa and it's cultivars/hybrids. I have a B. Little Stars, that I have neglected more than I have cactti and it still trucks along.

Crane Orchids and VFTs are not the best choices for a terrarium because being temperate species they require a cold winter dormancy. Dracula are a good choice providing you can meet the temperature requirements for the species you select. Most require highland conditions.A couple of orchids I personally find easy in a terrarium environment are Haraella odorata, Ceratostylis rubra, and Aerangis citrata.

Tipularia discolor is a poor choice for a boggy environment. The bulb would just rot in such constantly wet conditions and they prefer partial shade. Instead, look for Calopogon tuberosus, C.pallida, C. barbatus, C. multiflora, Pogonia ophioglossoides, Spiranthes cernua, S.vernalis, Platanthera ciliaris, P.cristata, P.blephariglottis, P.psycodes, P.grandiflora, P.dilatata, P.flava or Habenaria repens. All of the species I've listed here are "Bog Orchids" and often grow right alongside CP's in the wild. There are other suitable species as well but, they are almost impossible to find for sale in the US. There are several CP vendors here that also sell Bog Orchids as well as carnivorous plants.

There are many good choices for Nepenthes companions but your conditions must be taken in consideration first. Look for plants that have similar requirements to the conditions you already have. Andy's Orchids has a great search tool that allows to narrow down your search for plants by size, light requirements, conditions.....etc...

http://www.andysorchids.com/

Last edited:

There are orchids for all sorts of conditions. Andy's is a good choice, as suggested. His site can be particularly helpful as he has temperature and light requirements listed.

You missed out Eleorchis japonica Johnny, both pink and white flowered.

I grow the pink flowered variety actually. It's almost non existant in cultivation over here though.

That's a shame, it's really a good little bog orchid.

7425339504_3566ac52c4_o.jpg

7425339290_973a4cf1d7_o.jpg

Very nice as always Fred. The white form will be joining the collection soon.....

For the sarrs etc, why not try some grass pink orchids
Oh and if you wanted a non orchid flower, what about Lilium Catesbaei?
I ordered a few days ago, and now have a grass pink and crane orchid. I was going to get a Lilium, but I have limited room in the pot. Maybe later.
Crane Orchids and VFTs are not the best choices for a terrarium because being temperate species they require a cold winter dormancy. Dracula are a good choice providing you can meet the temperature requirements for the species you select. Most require highland conditions.A couple of orchids I personally find easy in a terrarium environment are Haraella odorata, Ceratostylis rubra, and Aerangis citrata.
I think you misunderstood. I meant one that would go well with VFT in VFT environment, not that the VFT and the orchid would be in the terrarium with the Nepenthes.
I tried looking for those. No luck in the States.

I know the perfect orchid for a carnivorous plant grower! Bulbophyllums! Not only are they easy to grow, and thrive under really humid conditions, they produce very bizarre and beautiful flowers that smell anywhere between carrion to mushrooms. When they flower they'll attract food for your carnivorous plants!

I am currently growing a Bulbophyllum blumei. But I've always wanted to try a B. echinolabium

On the other hand, if you're willing to try a succulent, Stapeliads are easy to grow and produce flowers like these. They also would attract tons of food for your carnivorous plants. If I didn't live in a desert and could grow a ton of Carnivores, that sort of set up would make me smile with efficiency.

I know the perfect orchid for a carnivorous plant grower! Bulbophyllums! Not only are they easy to grow, and thrive under really humid conditions, they produce very bizarre and beautiful flowers that smell anywhere between carrion to mushrooms. When they flower they'll attract food for your carnivorous plants!

I am currently growing a Bulbophyllum blumei. But I've always wanted to try a B. echinolabium

On the other hand, if you're willing to try a succulent, Stapeliads are easy to grow and produce flowers like these. They also would attract tons of food for your carnivorous plants. If I didn't live in a desert and could grow a ton of Carnivores, that sort of set up would make me smile with efficiency.

I'll look into those for the terrarium, thanks. I have some desert plants also, so I'll look into Stapeliads as well.

If you try to grow Stapeliads, I've found that they do really well in a very shallow, wide pot, not quite as shallow as a bonsai pot, but definitely something that is wider than deep. I use a chunky cactus soil and then throw in an little bit extra pumice. I also lay a layer of crocking (clay pot shards) at the bottom of the pot to make sure it drains really well. When the temperatures go into +85 you can water them frequently and they'll branch out sideways and then root their branches into the soil. Around late summer you get the flowers.

Back