User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to get into orchids, any recommendations?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking to get into orchids, any recommendations?

So my terrarium and outdoor pots look kind of bland, and I've always found orchids interesting. I noticed that they seem to have similar nutrient and soil requirements to CPs, so I was thinking of growing a few with CPs.

I was thinking of a crane orchid for venus flytraps and sarracenia, and maybe a Drac in the terrarium with the nepenthes.(I am worried about the bright grow lights, but the pitchers seem fine with them and they shouldn't be in direct light either. It seems grow lights don't have that issue.

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have experience with crane orchids but I do with draculas. As long as the humidity in the tank is high and they're is a drop in temperature at least into the high 50s if not lower you should be good to go. Also, they do the best in situations with good air movement and high humidity that's when they really flourish...hope this helps

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the sarrs etc, why not try some grass pink orchids
    Oh and if you wanted a non orchid flower, what about Lilium Catesbaei?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a big fan of Brassovola nodosa and it's cultivars/hybrids. I have a B. Little Stars, that I have neglected more than I have cactti and it still trucks along.
    Growlist
    IN HOC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crane Orchids and VFTs are not the best choices for a terrarium because being temperate species they require a cold winter dormancy. Dracula are a good choice providing you can meet the temperature requirements for the species you select. Most require highland conditions.A couple of orchids I personally find easy in a terrarium environment are Haraella odorata, Ceratostylis rubra, and Aerangis citrata.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tipularia discolor is a poor choice for a boggy environment. The bulb would just rot in such constantly wet conditions and they prefer partial shade. Instead, look for Calopogon tuberosus, C.pallida, C. barbatus, C. multiflora, Pogonia ophioglossoides, Spiranthes cernua, S.vernalis, Platanthera ciliaris, P.cristata, P.blephariglottis, P.psycodes, P.grandiflora, P.dilatata, P.flava or Habenaria repens. All of the species I've listed here are "Bog Orchids" and often grow right alongside CP's in the wild. There are other suitable species as well but, they are almost impossible to find for sale in the US. There are several CP vendors here that also sell Bog Orchids as well as carnivorous plants.

There are many good choices for Nepenthes companions but your conditions must be taken in consideration first. Look for plants that have similar requirements to the conditions you already have. Andy's Orchids has a great search tool that allows to narrow down your search for plants by size, light requirements, conditions.....etc...

http://www.andysorchids.com/

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite! DragonsEye's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are orchids for all sorts of conditions. Andy's is a good choice, as suggested. His site can be particularly helpful as he has temperature and light requirements listed.

"Blessed are the cracked….
    For they are the ones who let in the light."

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You missed out Eleorchis japonica Johnny, both pink and white flowered.
    Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast