What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In spite of my difficulties growing Pings, I can grow orchids really well. First, a picture of a Laelia angereri x L. katsukiana:
2r5ch1l.jpg

This is a primary hybrid of two rock laelias from Brazil. They can grow well outside in Arizona, as long as they are given some shade in the afternoon, and a spritzing of water around 4 or 5 pm to simulate coastal fog that rolls in. I also own several other rock laelia hybrids, I love their succulent leaf structure, their extremely small size and their tough constitution. These have been outside since march, and the flowers have been open since early May.

Next is a Brassovola nodosa, mounted on a piece of cholla wood:
25pmuy8.jpg

Its got two flower spikes with six flowers on each spike. I'm hanging it in the sky light of my living room right now. Its another tough orchid, this one can grow on a mount in regular house humidity, although much of the year I still suspend it over a humidity tray with my other orchids.

t7flf4.jpg

Here's a close up of the flowers:
o6md92.jpg

I also grow a Bras. "David Sandler" (Rhyncholaelia digbyana x Brassovola cullculata) and a Brassovola acalus. I may try to cross the rock laelias with the brassovolas to make some tough and vigorous hybrids one day.

Your Brassovola nodosa is a beautiful little plant; those flowers are really interesting.

10 B. nodosa blooms open? I bet your living room smells pretty at night!

It does! About 8 o' clock I get a good wiff of the onset. My house has a swamp cooler that blows humid air across the orchid where its hanging, and that fans the smell all around.

I love the root system on this thing. It branches all over the cholla skeleton its growing on, and turns green when you water it. If I had a green house I'd try to grow ghost orchids.

I just obtained a Laelia sincorana. Very small plant with large coerulea blooms, I want to try to cross it with my B. nodosa some time, but my new plant is still pretty young. Imagine a blue brassovola with more compact growth and larger flowers though!

Back