What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thelymitra crinita

• Thread starter SubRosa
  • Start date

SubRosa

BS Bulldozer
Figured this deserves a thread of its own! It's only half open, and I was a bit rushed. Better pic to come!

Attachments

• IMG_20150630_062102.jpg
    IMG_20150630_062102.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 88
Wow! I had no idea Australian terrestrials were in cultivation. What is its culture?

Looking forward to the "better pic"

Mine are only in leaf at the moment with no signs of flower scapes. The warm weather must have kicked yours along quickly.

Looking forward to the "better pic"

Mine are only in leaf at the moment with no signs of flower scapes. The warm weather must have kicked yours along quickly.
Don't get your hopes too high! My equipment is limited to my phone, and my photographic ability is even more limited. But at least the flower will be fully open!

Fully open. It could well be wishful thinking on my part, but the flower seems a bit bluer today:

Attachments

• IMG_20150701_073322.jpg
    IMG_20150701_073322.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 60
Wow! I had no idea Australian terrestrials were in cultivation. What is its culture?
The culture is very similar to tuberous Drosera, with two significant differences. Although they both experience the same wet winter/dry summer conditions, I don't keep this as wet as the Drosera. I don't keep it in a tray, and let the media get to the point of almost dry at the surface between waterings. The media is different as well. It starts out as a typical sand/peat mix to which I added perlite, sphagnum moss, some composted manure and a touch of shredded Eucalyptus leaves for authenticity, and possibly weed control. I also sprinkled a few Osmocote pellets in the cup.
Now that it's flowering I'm backing off on the water a bit and letting the top inch or so get dry between waterings. When flowering is over so is watering, and it will get a couple months dry dormancy before starting the cycle all over. Hopefully......

Looks awesome John. The buds on mine are just starting to come up. I have a feeling these may be a little more difficult than the Drosera to acclimate fully to the Northern Hemisphere.

I definitely see more blue tint to the flower today. Such a pretty thing. Congrats!

Back