What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can someone help me identify these?

• Thread starter Cruzzfish
  • Start date
D2jgymy.jpg

83OJ96w.jpg

wu2CBeO.jpg

xEQU7lm.jpg

And this one is Brassovola nodosa, right?
UKTx2ZW.jpg

First two are intergeneric Oncidium hybrids. I believe I saw the first one at Trader Joe's the other day. Someone more familiar with this type of orchid may be able to give you the name of the hybrid genus, but a full positive id may not be possible. The third is a Renanthera of some type, again possibly a hybrid. The fourth looks like a deformed Phalaenopsis, or a Sweet Pea flower. The last is a Brassavola, and could be nodosa, or again a hybrid. What is the source of these plants? For what it's worth the Brassavola most commonly sold in box stores is 'Little Stars', which is a nodosa x cordata hybrid.

Last edited:
These were at UCONN's research building, but I forgot the labels for them and am having trouble with their website.

A closer look at the leaves of #3 makes me think Vigna caracalla.

A closer look at the leaves of #3 makes me think Vigna caracalla.

That one, at least, is accurate. So 4 isn't an orchid, but it's a strange shape for the Vigna. I thought it wasn't connected to those leaves, as it was hanging from something else.

Last edited:
Vigna caracalla is a climbing vine in the Legume family......

First photo is a Zygopetalum. Not sure if it's a straight species or a hybrid though. Haven't had Orchids in years.

Number three looks like a Dendrobium to me, here's one of my white Dendrobium as a reference

dada7a39d77c5dffb1f7bfb68b671dfb.jpg

Silent hill is quite correct .... That first one definitely is a Zygopetalum -- don't believe it is a species, though.

The 3rd is not a Renanthera. It is a Dendrobium. Appears to be one of the legion of den hybrids.

I agree with Sub, the last one is some type of Brassovola but, as he pointed out, you can't assume it is B. nodosa. Nodosa has been used a great deal in hybridizing and some of the hybrids look very much like nodosa.

The 2nd one is indeed a hybrid of the Oncidium Alliance.

Hopefully you will be able to contact someone "in the know" at UCONN. Otherwise, all of the orchids will forever be NoIDs

Last edited:
The first one is Zygopetalum hybrid with Z. crinitum or maculatum. It could be Zygopetalum Mackai . The second is Milt. clowesii or its hybrid. The third it could be any of the thousand Dendrobium hybrids maybe Den. Susan. The forth is the legume vine as mentioned ealier and the last is Brassavola nodosa.

Hope this helps.

Ramon:D

Back