What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Digging up orchid bulbs?

My grass pink and egret orchids just died back to bulb form. Because they will be inside for the winter, should I dig them up and put them in my refridgerator to keep them cool and rot free, or should I just leave them in the bog garden along with the sarracenia and other things? It seems to get cold enough inside for VFTs to go dormant if that helps.

If it gets and stays cold enough for your sarrs and vfts to overwinter then it should be fine for the orchids. Mine have no problem here, but are you saying that you bring your whole bog inside for the winter? I am somewhat confused that it gets cold enough inside for your vfts to go dormant?

Last edited:
If it gets and stays cold enough for your sarrs and vfts to overwinter then it should be fine for the orchids. Mine have no problem here, but are you saying that you bring your whole bog inside for the winter? I am somewhat confused that it gets cold enough inside for your vfts to go dormant?

The bog sits in a room full of windows, and because that room of windows has one heat vent on the other side of it the air temperature is about 50 during the day and 40 during the night(My Nepenthes probably hate me for it). I had some VFT seedlings indoors last year, and they didn't seem to grow in that time, so I think they went dormant. They didn't really turn that black though.

What USDA Zone are you in ? The Calopogon will be fine outside just about anywhere in the US. The Pecteilis however is only hardy to Zone 8 or so.

What USDA Zone are you in ? The Calopogon will be fine outside just about anywhere in the US. The Pecteilis however is only hardy to Zone 8 or so.

5b-6a depending on where exactly the border is.

I would definitely bring in the Pecteilis corms. They prefer a dryer dormancy than a bog would afford anyway. The Calopogon will be just fine left out in the bog.

I would definitely bring in the Pecteilis corms. They prefer a dryer dormancy than a bog would afford anyway. The Calopogon will be just fine left out in the bog.

I think I'll just bring them both in and leave them on top of the sphagnum moss so I can monitor it. They were too close to the corner of the bog anyway.

I think I'll just bring them both in and leave them on top of the sphagnum moss so I can monitor it. They were too close to the corner of the bog anyway.

That would be about the last that I would recommend you do with them. Leave the Calopogon where it is, it will be absolutely fine. The species grows well up into Canada in climates and habitats much harsher and colder than yours. The Pecteilis should be brought in and kept in a cool, dark place wrapped in barely moistened lfs.

That would be about the last that I would recommend you do with them. Leave the Calopogon where it is, it will be absolutely fine. The species grows well up into Canada in climates and habitats much harsher and colder than yours. The Pecteilis should be brought in and kept in a cool, dark place wrapped in barely moistened lfs.

Ok, thanks. Nepenthes moist?

Last edited:
Not even that wet. Just barely moistened. The corms of Pecteilis prefer it on the drier side in winter. I've rotted many of them by keeping them too wet during dormancy.

Not even that wet. Just barely moistened. The corms of Pecteilis prefer it on the drier side in winter. I've rotted many of them by keeping them too wet during dormancy.

Ok then.

Ok, I pulled the egret orchids up, but this guy came out too because the roots were tangled. I stuck it back in the ground an inch or so deeper than it was before(it was too shallow this year)to wait for spring, but just wanted to make sure it's healthy.
AHksogj.jpg

These are the egret orchid bulbs. It looks like I got five, but I'm not sure how many of them will be viable.
yDOzzLJ.jpg

Back