Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digging up orchid bulbs?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Digging up orchid bulbs?

My grass pink and egret orchids just died back to bulb form. Because they will be inside for the winter, should I dig them up and put them in my refridgerator to keep them cool and rot free, or should I just leave them in the bog garden along with the sarracenia and other things? It seems to get cold enough inside for VFTs to go dormant if that helps.

An orchid fancier with a CP problem chibae's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it gets and stays cold enough for your sarrs and vfts to overwinter then it should be fine for the orchids. Mine have no problem here, but are you saying that you bring your whole bog inside for the winter? I am somewhat confused that it gets cold enough inside for your vfts to go dormant?
    Last edited by chibae; 10-20-2015 at 04:26 PM.
    It's a tough life being a Sarracenia farmer
    My Grow List http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123776

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chibae View Post
    If it gets and stays cold enough for your sarrs and vfts to overwinter then it should be fine for the orchids. Mine have no problem here, but are you saying that you bring your whole bog inside for the winter? I am somewhat confused that it gets cold enough inside for your vfts to go dormant?
    The bog sits in a room full of windows, and because that room of windows has one heat vent on the other side of it the air temperature is about 50 during the day and 40 during the night(My Nepenthes probably hate me for it). I had some VFT seedlings indoors last year, and they didn't seem to grow in that time, so I think they went dormant. They didn't really turn that black though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What USDA Zone are you in ? The Calopogon will be fine outside just about anywhere in the US. The Pecteilis however is only hardy to Zone 8 or so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu138 View Post
    What USDA Zone are you in ? The Calopogon will be fine outside just about anywhere in the US. The Pecteilis however is only hardy to Zone 8 or so.
    5b-6a depending on where exactly the border is.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would definitely bring in the Pecteilis corms. They prefer a dryer dormancy than a bog would afford anyway. The Calopogon will be just fine left out in the bog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu138 View Post
    I would definitely bring in the Pecteilis corms. They prefer a dryer dormancy than a bog would afford anyway. The Calopogon will be just fine left out in the bog.
    I think I'll just bring them both in and leave them on top of the sphagnum moss so I can monitor it. They were too close to the corner of the bog anyway.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruzzfish View Post
    I think I'll just bring them both in and leave them on top of the sphagnum moss so I can monitor it. They were too close to the corner of the bog anyway.
    That would be about the last that I would recommend you do with them. Leave the Calopogon where it is, it will be absolutely fine. The species grows well up into Canada in climates and habitats much harsher and colder than yours. The Pecteilis should be brought in and kept in a cool, dark place wrapped in barely moistened lfs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast