Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Oeonia rosea

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oeonia rosea

An interesting, vining species from Madagascar. This genus is in the Vanda Alliance with the closest well-known relatives being Angraecum.

Last edited by goods; 04-01-2016 at 09:37 PM.

Greetings from the netherworld. curtisconners's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's pretty cool. I didn't know that some orchids grew vine like, I thought all orchids just stuck to their branch and stayed there. Good luck with growing it.
    The profile pic that you see above is my actual photo. I am a hyper-intelligent snake that has learned to use the internet and I will eventually rule you all.

Just kidding..... Or am I?

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite! DragonsEye's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by curtisconners View Post
    I didn't know that some orchids grew vine like, I thought all orchids just stuck to their branch and stayed there.
    Orchids are the most diverse of all the plant Families. They inhabit every continent except Antarctica and can be found in deserts, tropical rainforests, temperate forests, grasslands, swamps, tepuis, and other mountainous regions like the cloud forests. Members of this Family grow as epiphytes, lithophytes, and as true terrestrials. The growth habits of this Family's constituents varies considerably as well. I don't know how "viney" Good's Oeonia gets to be, but one the most commercially important orchids (if not the most) has an indisputably vine growth habit -- Vanilla planifolia -- the source of vanilla used in so many foods & beverages. Vines get up to 35m or more.

"Blessed are the cracked….
    For they are the ones who let in the light."

Greetings from the netherworld. curtisconners's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow, I knew that orchids lived on every continent except Antarctica, but I didn't know that they were the most diverse family of plants. Thanks for the info, it amazes me that there are more species of orchids than there are trees.
    The profile pic that you see above is my actual photo. I am a hyper-intelligent snake that has learned to use the internet and I will eventually rule you all.

Just kidding..... Or am I?