What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oeonia rosea

An interesting, vining species from Madagascar. This genus is in the Vanda Alliance with the closest well-known relatives being Angraecum.

26154388596_02312f886a_c.jpg

26180339205_01d1372395_c.jpg

Last edited:
That's pretty cool. I didn't know that some orchids grew vine like, I thought all orchids just stuck to their branch and stayed there. Good luck with growing it.

I didn't know that some orchids grew vine like, I thought all orchids just stuck to their branch and stayed there.

Orchids are the most diverse of all the plant Families. They inhabit every continent except Antarctica and can be found in deserts, tropical rainforests, temperate forests, grasslands, swamps, tepuis, and other mountainous regions like the cloud forests. Members of this Family grow as epiphytes, lithophytes, and as true terrestrials. The growth habits of this Family's constituents varies considerably as well. I don't know how "viney" Good's Oeonia gets to be, but one the most commercially important orchids (if not the most) has an indisputably vine growth habit -- Vanilla planifolia -- the source of vanilla used in so many foods & beverages. Vines get up to 35m or more.

wow, I knew that orchids lived on every continent except Antarctica, but I didn't know that they were the most diverse family of plants. Thanks for the info, it amazes me that there are more species of orchids than there are trees.

Back