User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Paphiopedilum supersuk "Eureka" AM/AOS x Paph Raisin Pie "Hsinying") x Sib tips

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paphiopedilum supersuk "Eureka" AM/AOS x Paph Raisin Pie "Hsinying") x Sib tips

So I picked up an impulse-buy plant (Or rather resist the impulse for several weeks and finally succumb.) It's a Paphiopedilum orchid. I have done poorly with a few Phalenopsis early in my growing, but feel ready to return to orchids.
    Despite my hubris, I have so many questions.

To start, is this hybrid a sequential/multiple bloomer? there is a second bud on the flower stalk. I am wondering if is an abnormality because of bad care.

Here is a picture of the foliage. Everything look ok?

This is the media and roots. From what I have read I should get it out of the moss ASAP. However, I'm sort of lazy with watering, and I'm wondering if sphag is a decent medium for Paphiopedilum.

This plant is growing in an east-facing windowsill in NW United States. It gets morning sun and light shade for the rest of the day. I water it when the top of the media is dry, and the rest of the media seems barely moist. Portland metro area is unpredictable, but temps are anywhere from 100-50/60 to 60-50 day/night temperatures.

Any advice is super helpful! Thanks TF!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I'm doing okay with it. It has the start of two new growths, and the second bud is continuing to develop. Pictures to follow.
    Last edited by cwatson1414; 09-08-2016 at 12:40 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New growths:

Second bud:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seond flower opened. It's a little smaller than the first.
    See some good roots in the pot too, so I guess everything is ok.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It did pretty well through my move. It was attacked by mold, but it went away with a sulphur solution. I moved it to bark and to a much brighter location. It has responded by growing vigorously. The other lead even woke up.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'Sorry I didn't see this thread sooner. My suggestion regarding light levels is to look at the color of the foliage. If the pattern and color is fading that might mean the light levels are too high. Paphs generally like what might be described as 'bright, filtered light' which is dimmer than full-on direct sun. I know there is a lot water under the bridge since you first asked but I use a mix of sphagnum, orchid bark and perlite to pot mine in. I am guessing that by now you know that multiple flowers is a good sign. I wish you success! I think the tropical lady slipper orchids are amazing.
    Last edited by bluemax; 01-28-2017 at 01:19 PM.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tips! Sounds like we are using the same mix, that's reassuring! The leaf mottling has faded a bit. Maybe I'll pull it back from the window.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice - I've got that cross or the mother (long since lost the tag) but I've never got it to double bloom! If it's anything like mine, it'll be pretty easy to please. It's the first orchid I've got to bloom regularly that wasn't a Phalaenopsis.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~