What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to gauge watering of a potted, rock mounted orchid with roots below substrate?

A friend of mine gave me a Dendrobium kingianum and told me that it was quite hardy and forgiving. However, I haven't figure out yet how exactly to tell when it truly needs watering or if I am over-watering. The problem is that it is rock-mounted and potted in a clay pot. Also, there is mulch substrate to fill the cracks and retain moisture, so I cannot look for green/white/brown roots. I'm sure this is great for a species that is normally a lithophyte, but it also means that I cannot base my watering regime on how light/heavy the plant feels, which is how I normally do. My second method is normally to look at the roots and water them if when they are totally white, but I can't do that when I can't see the roots. I recently noticed that a leaf was senescing and I wondered if it was rotting or normal growth and death. The canes seem ok, and the plant is actively growing, so I think everything is fine. However, temps are cooling down and I want to make sure that I do not overwater this thing before I subject it to its winter rest. As of now, I water it once or twice a week and it is grown under fluorescent lights. During the summer, it is an outdoor critter.

Here are a few photos of the problem leaf and also the canes.

Dendrobiumkingianum by Kyle JW, on Flickr

Dendrobiumkingianum by Kyle JW, on Flickr

I welcome any culture tips or criticisms.

Normally water on leaf + sun = burned spots on the leaf but you are growing under lights? The yellowing, shriveled leaf is normal for old leaves.

Ok good to hear. That yellowing, shriveled leaf was the one I was worried about. As for the burn spots, that's from being outside during the warm season.

Back