What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Got a slab of Cirrhopetalum

I tend to buy orchids based upon whether I like their foliage (since that's what you see most of the time). Today I purchased my first Cirrhopetalum (a relative to the Bulbophyllum- another genus I haven't tried yet). My purchase was based on liking the slab it's growing on covered in mosses and ferns and the look of the rhizome creeping through it.
Cirr2.jpg

There is much new growth as you can see below in the overall view.
Cirr1.jpg

I'm wondering if I seperate the new growth (to put on some new slabs) how many bulbs need to be in place to give the new divisions a good start and will the old slab continue to produce bulbs and inflorescences? Like I said, I'm new to orchids related to Bulbophyllum so any tips would be appreciated.

The plant I purchased is specifically:
C. Louis Sander x C. Elizabeth Ann 'Buckleberry' (Au/1045)

Thanks for any info!
smile.gif

hey sword i would break it apart by hand what ever comes with a breakage is what i would divid it into. i wouldn't break it all into one single piece. from looking at the plant i would go 3 bulbs per section with keeping as much soil medium with a section. kool plant too.
i e-mailed the place last night with the drac vamp. and asked what the growing cond will have to be to grow this orchid. my mom really wants that one. i will let ya know if i get an e-mail back and what they say
what growing tank do you keep that one in too. i would like to get a piece off of it

Most of the things I've read also say to have at least three pseudo-bulbs per division.  It looks like you could cut off the off-mount piece on the lower right with no danger to the parent plant.

Currently it's in my cloud forest/highland enclosure with the Masdevallias/Draculas, Brassias and highland Nepenthes. (day 70-75*F night 50*F). Since Cirrhopetalum can take warm to intermediate I will probably move it (or cuttings of it) into the new lowland tank when I get it built. But since the orchid shop/greenhouse I got this from has more or less the same temps as my highland tank I put it there for now with no fear of enviro shock.

This is growing on what Jerry (store owner) calls a "hydrolog" to me it looks like regular green florist foam attached to a chickenwire back & support. It has LFS tied over the foam withthe plant & live moss growing over the LFS.
Am I correct in what these "Hydro logs" are made of (Florist foam) or is it some special kind of foam?
When I make new epiphyte mounts I want to use this stuff (and my girlfriend does silk flower arranging so I have lots onhand) because plants seem to take forever to mount to regular cork bark - plus moss & liverworts seem to love these hydrologs due to their water retaining abilities-and I love mosses and liverworts!
smile.gif
Anyone else have plants on these mounts?

Well Swords I happen to know Jerry personally and I also happen to be good friends with the man that invented the Hydrolog, I dont think hed be too happy about you making your own
wink.gif

But aside from that your Cirrhopetalum would really appreceate warmer growing conditions that what your currently offering I would suggest a 10 degree increase in day and night temperatures, and be sure to stay on top of watering. During active growth these plants {Bulbophyllum/Cirrhopetalum} can actually be watered almost daily in the greenhouse, and make sure to really saturate the log when watering. There should ample run off coming out of the base of the log. One other thing to keep an eye out for with the Hydrologs is mineral build up and excess drying of the log, when either one of these occurs it is very hard to rewet the log and then it usually never holds the same amount of water as before. this can be avoided by flushing periodically  and never allowing the log to fully dry out.
Hope I was helpfull.

Peace
biggrin.gif

ha! I'm one of those nasty DIYers! However, since I don't have a pair of aviator snips, the inventor of the hydrolog will get some repeat business from me.
wink.gif

One thing is sure I'll never buy an aquarium again for my plants since I can make showerstall and larger sized growing chambers for $100-$200 or buy an Orchidarium of apx the same size (slightly smaller) for $1700! Granted they don't look the same but they perform the same task.

heck the way i see it if i get one of those flowers arrangements and it has that green thing in the middle of it. think i'm going to throw it away heck no, i'm putting it to good use and making a hydro log for one of my orchids.

if anyone sees Jerry before i do which will probly be a long time since i'm way down south. tell him killer idea and thumbs up. i know 2 of the Phal. i got growing in them are growing great.

one of those nasty DIYers lol

First of all Jerry is NOT the inventor of the hydrolog. And second why wouldnt you just buy one? They are reletively cheap, compared to what it would cost you to buy all the supplies and not to mention the time you would spend on trying to make it and tweaking, modifications etc. isnt it worth the measley 8 dollars. Not to mention your helping someone make their living!

I will let my friend Scott know what you think of his product.
Ive been trying to get him to do a website but hes one of those anti computer people you know the type.
I took him to microcenter once, while I was talking with some sales people he wondered off and came back in ten minutes and told me hed tried his best to entertain himself but this store just wast doing it so he decided to wait in the car.
Lol. . . still cracks me up
Anyway what would you guys think of that? a website about The Hydrolg and its many uses, not too metion any number of his inventions.

Peace
biggrin.gif

Back