What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Orchid pics

Gastrochilus dasypogon - another 'oddball' is flowering...

PICT0184x.jpg

edit: I don't know what happened to the title - it's supposed to be 'Orchid pics'.  Can a moderator fix it please?

There ya go Merlin, changed the name.

Beautiful orchid and one I haven't got.
Do you have any more info on that species?
Where is it from?
What conditions does it like?

Cheers, Troy.

Thanks, Troy.

G. dasypogon comes from south and southeast asia, as I recall. Officially, it likes humidity and fairly bright light. That said, I grow it with household humidity and temperatures. I keep it considerably closer to my lights than my Phals and Paphs - call it 'Cattleya conditions'. The plant is a typical monopodial orchid with a leaf span of about 8". The flowers are about 3/4" across. I originally tried to grow it in a pot but the first flowering took place beneath the level of the bark chips, so I mounted it on a treefern fiber plaque. It flowers around this time every year, usually with two of those balls of flowers.

Thanks, again.
smile.gif

I guess I'm going to have to take a serious look around then because I am about as "south east asia" as you get here in Bali!!
I'm off on my first trip to Jakarta next week (after living here in Indonesia for 9 years) and I hear they have some awesome pasar anggrek (orchid markets) there so that will be the place. I will also visit Bogor Herbarium and ogle their orchid and Nepenthes collection.

After that it's off to Singapore where, once again, my aim is to spend lots of time, and some money, on orchids
smile.gif

If I can't find this plant in either of those places then it won't be found!

Thanks for the post, Troy.

PS your signature gives me a chuckle every time I read it.

Back