Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cypripedium acaule

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote (Khai @ April 20 2003,12:38)
    Maybe Ill collect a small sample for you Josh.[/QUOTE]
    never ever collect this plants from the nature, think about the rules we have for the CP's, it just the same with them too...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was talking about SOIL if you read a lilttle more carefully you would have realized this!

Oh and yes, Mycorrhizae are integral for germination and more than like beneficial to a mature plant.
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Peace

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Somewhere online I have seen a place which sells Mycorrhizae cultures for plants. Supposedly it's good for many of them. I think it was at a mushroom website where they were selling it but I can't recall the name... something fanaticus maybe?

I will move them each to 8" pots without messing with the soil around the roots. I have no outdoor land to plant them so local dogs would pee on them if I were to put them in the ground by my condo! I want to grow them with my other shade plants on teh patio which can't be stolen or .. peed on! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fungi Perfecti has Mycorrhizae cultures for plants so does Home Harvest. I'm sure other places do as well. I believe it is a specific fugus that has the symbiotic relationship with Cypripedium acaule. If your plant is growing well, the soil probably already has the fungus in question. I know with some orchids the fungus actually enters the plants tissues. I don't know if that's the case with Cyps. If you repot the plant use some of the old soil.

Glenn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fungi Perfecti, that was the place!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know for a fact that the species needed are not comercially available. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img]
    Peace

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll bet someone selling cultures of orchid fungus could make some good $! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think a lot more research has to be done before anyone could sell specific fungus to grow with orchids. For plants like Cypripediums, it's quite possible adding the wrong fungus might be very bad for the plant. I've heard (don't know how true it is though) that the fungus associated with C. acuale can actually grow too fast and kill the plant if the ph balance is off. Be very careful if you add any fungal mycorrhiza to it, you may need to take extra care to make sure that the ph is acidic enough.

That said, I have been growing C. acaule for about 3 months - I ordered a dormant plant, which of course broke dormancy in the mail in the middle of winter. I haven't had any problems yet, it's been amazingly easy so far, considering all that is said about the plant, but I really don't know if that's just temporary luck or if the plant is a much easy grower than it is given credit for. With how far off it is from when it should be growing (it has already flowered, oddly enough, even though it was supposed to be too young to flower this year at all) I am not sure how that will effect it, yet.

9. Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast