Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cypripedium acaule

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think theres an echo in hear. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]
    Peace

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carnivorous23, most stuff I've read says to water C. acaule using a solution of 2 tea spoons of white vinegar to 1 gallon of water to make the very acid ph water. Is it still necessary to use the vinegar if I'm using R/O water or rainwater?

Vinegar smells so terrible I didn't think it could be used for anything except cleaning white spots off aquarium lids! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been afraid to add the vinegar. I've actually been using rainwater myself (and tapwater a couple times when I've been low on rainwater). But I've been collecting it in a bucket with a little peat moss and sand in the bottom to acidify it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rainwater in the eastern US and Canada is acid enough. Any other water should be acidified with vinegar. I rarely water mine and, if I do, I use distilled water (collected from my basement dehumidifier or the water dripping from my neighbor's air conditioner). And add vinegar. Mine are in pots, until I decide on their final location. I found 18" diameter, maybe 8" deep planter bowls at a nursery (I've seen them at home depot too) and drilled a lot of holes in the bottom of each one. The plants are in a mix of decomposing cedar mulch and perlite. I put a cover of pine needles on each fall. This will be their third year with me and they seem much stronger than before. The difficulty in growing them might not show in one growing season. If they aren't happy, they'll gradually decline and might take years to die. So I don't know know yet whether I'm treating them right. But, if they come back stronger each spring with more growths and blooms every year, then I'll know.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do they look as they die off for the year? Mine are Ok so far but it's only been two weeks or so. Can I leave them outside overwinter or do they need to be taken somewhere where they won't be covered in snow and subjected to the MN winters (I'm in zone 4)?

Is Pine bark mulch Ok to use? Everyone talks about pine needles but I saw a big bag of pine bark ground into 1/2" pieces for a good price and was wondering if that would accomplish the same as bark and pine needles?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Id use oak leaves before id use pine bark.
    Peace

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it OK to make my own oak leaf mould from the fallen leaves in the woods behind my house or is it better (i.e. safer) to buy the bagged stuff?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I neglected to say that, in addition to adding a layer of pine needles each fall, I also pile 1 ft of oak leaves on top for insulation. But next year I'll also provide some kind of awning/cover to prevent so much snow from accumulating. It melts on warm sunny days and the water freezes again in the pots beneath the leaves. I thought I might lose both pots of plants in early spring because each became a solid block of ice.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123