What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cypripedium acaule

How do they look as they die off for the year? Mine are Ok so far but it's only been two weeks or so. Can I leave them outside overwinter or do they need to be taken somewhere where they won't be covered in snow and subjected to the MN winters (I'm in zone 4)?

Is Pine bark mulch Ok to use? Everyone talks about pine needles but I saw a big bag of pine bark ground into 1/2" pieces for a good price and was wondering if that would accomplish the same as bark and pine needles?

Id use oak leaves before id use pine bark.

Is it OK to make my own oak leaf mould from the fallen leaves in the woods behind my house or is it better (i.e. safer) to buy the bagged stuff?

I neglected to say that, in addition to adding a layer of pine needles each fall, I also pile 1 ft of oak leaves on top for insulation.  But next year I'll also provide some kind of awning/cover to prevent so much snow from accumulating.  It melts on warm sunny days and the water freezes again in the pots beneath the leaves.  I thought I might lose both pots of plants in early spring because each became a solid block of ice.

Back