Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Id this phal please?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hiya,

Could someone ID this phal please? I know it's fairly common but my coworker just got this and would like to know the name of it. Okay, here's a better pic than the one I had last night. The stripes are white and a nice deep pink/maroon and there are touches of yellow inside the lip.

Thanks in advance,
    Michelle
    A flytrap ate my homework!
    -Michelle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since nobody seems to know, I've printed it out, and I'll try to remember to take it to the Farmer's Market with me this afternoon, where the guy next to my honey booth is an orchid grower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is impossible to ID a hybrid Phal. There are literally thousands and thousands of crosses. Very pretty striped one though ;>

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Michelle

What you have is a hybrid of Phalaenopsis amabilis and Tony is right, there are millions of colour variations. It may not even have a name?

That particular species is probably the most popular one that we sell at the orchid garden and we have quite a few varieties including super large white that is the best seller (we also rent them out to hotels), yellow which is unusual and expensive, pink, purple, white with a yellow tongue, white with a pink tongue and variations on all of the above.

That one you have is very attractive.

Cheers, Troy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Michelle, my friend said the same thing as Tony and Fatboy. The way he put it was something along the lines of "can't tell, taxinomical nightmare" [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Hey, I didn't know that after the spike stops flowering, you cut it off above the second node, and a new spike will grow. I did it, and it's working, so make sure your friend knows this.

Tim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    P. amabilis is the basis for nearly all modern Phal. hybrids so to tell some one its an amabilis hybrid really isnt a very precise description.
    While the exact cross will never be known you can tell your friend that his plant is whats called a candy Stripe Phal.
    Grow it like any other Phal. most all pink Phalaenopsis tend to be slightly less robust than standard whites.

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Peace

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, for the help everyone! We just got tired of calling it "the really pretty pink striped orchid thing that people call a phal..e..a...oh, just call it a phal!" [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

She's taking good care of it, poking her finger in the spag every day and asking if she can water it yet [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img] Ah, there's nothing like the excitement and enthusiasm of a newly-converted gardener!

Perhaps this will encourage more interesting plants in the office other than the normal spider plants and that green viney thing.

Cheers!
    Michelle
    A flytrap ate my homework!
    -Michelle