Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Orchid added!

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Chris

Yes, thats an African violet (Saintpaulia) in the background (three actually). :-) One of many. I don't really consider myself an AV grower, but I keep buying them. lol I now have about 9 or 10. The plant in the photo actually is a deep purplish color. My digital camera has a tendency to make purples look blue unfortunately. I did just recently buy a pale blue miniature AV but I haven't seen a dark blue one.

I think there will be more phrags in my future...there was another one at the greenhouse that was a little smaller that was almost all yellow...also beautiful. They made me weak in the knees. :-) Its the first time I've seen a phrag in this greenhouse although I've always wanted to try one. And I've seen some beauties on eBay (some with the long draping petals)...so I might try there for the next one and maybe find a better price. Some of the phrags are rated as "beginner" plants, so not too hard to grow.

I hope you get one, Chris! :-)

Suzanne

Marshfield, MA (US) USDA zone 6 cold-temperate coastal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm definitely getting one. When the opportunity presents itself--indoor space is limited now till I move the rest of my sarrs outside.

Thanks for clearing up the AV. Maybe they're like roses, and hybridizers are on a quest to achieve 'true blue'.

(Edited by Dionaea Enthusiast at 12:55 pm on April 13, 2002)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Suzanne,

Your phrag is so beautiful I find myself going back to your post just to look at the picture! Ive started my quest for a phrag!
    Hopefully soon it will be Merry Xmas to me!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Robert...I hope you find one. I have enjoy my new orchid immensely. The pouch of the slipper seems thicker and fleshier than a paph and the colors are very rich. I go look at it every day. The bottom flower has now dropped off (since it was already in bloom when I bought it, I don't know how old it was). Interestingly, phrag flowers don't shrivel up and die like most flowers do...they just drop off totally intact. Plop! When the lower flower fell, it was so perfect I picked it up and floated it in some water. And its STILL perfect! Looks very pretty floating around. :-)

It still has one flower bud yet to open so I have something to look forward to. :-)

Suzanne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have falling head over heels in love with these Lady Slippers, this is my first year trying to grow them but I am keep my fingers crossed. PlantAKiss that is a lovely painting, did you paint it yourself?

(Edited by Windsurffer at 11:26 am on April 21, 2002)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Windsurffer

Welcome to the forums! Yes, the slipper orchids (paphiopedilums, phragmipediums, cypropediums) are my favorites. :-) I like other orchid varieties too. I saw two new phrags at the Greenhouse today, but this time I had to keep walking (I bought 3 more ochids at a plant sale!). Do you know what kind of slipper orchid you have, Windsurffer??

I'm not sure what painting you are referring to. Do you mean the photograph? If so, yes I took the photograph. As soon as I get my photos uploaded to the server, I will posting a few more of my newest orchid members. :-)

Keep me posted on how your orchids are doing. :-)

Suzanne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do know that they are pink Lady Slippers, sorry I wish I knew more. I received these in a seed trade with not much information, but will find out as soon as they start to bloom. I am sorry that I mistook your photo for a painting but it is so lovely. I can't wait to see more of your lovely plants and thank you for that warm welcome [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    I am looking for a place to post my photos that will allow me to post just one photo instead of sharing the whole album.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Windsurffer...

hmmmmm...sometimes when the term "Pink Lady Slipper" is used, its referring to the terrestrial lady slipper flower found in woodlands. Terrestrial slipper orchids are called cypropediums and they grow in soil as opposed to the epiphytic-type tropical orchid. Did you receive plants in the trade or seeds?

I don't know a lot about Cypros (I don't grow them...YET!) but the "traditional" pink lady slipper takes 7-10 years to flower although its possible commercially produced seeds might not take that long.

And also, if i'm not mistaken, you can post your pictures here at the PFT site on your homepage. I'm not sure the technical stuff involved but you can either email Phil or Jeff (owners of this site) or post under the General Forum section and ask about uploading pics here.

Ive got to get my two new pics uploaded so I can post them. They are so pretty. And I'm glad you have an appreciation of the slipper orchids. I think they are awsome!

Suzanne

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast