Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Orchid added!

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was verrrry bad this weekend...I bought an orchid I saw last weekend and fell in love with. It is a slipper-type orchid...a phragmipedium. The colors are just spectacular...coral, pink and yellow with coral speckles on the inside of the pouch and nice twisty petals. I made the mistake of going back to the greenhouse this weekend and gave in and shelled out some big bucks (merry early Christmas to meee...lol). Its a multifloral with blooms opening sequentially. It has two open flowers and another bud emerging.

I'm going to try to post a pic...hope I remember how to do it. The photo doesn't do it justice though...its a beauty.

Maybe this will inspire some of you to try a phragmipedium...or any other orchid. :-)

Suzanne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE A phragmipedium. I know several people who collect them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm .. looks like Phrag Eric Young.. or perhaps besseae x Sorcerers Apprentice...(how close is my guess?)

Nice Paph there next to it ;>
    T

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks huge... how big is the flower?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sure is a beauty! Enjoy it! (and Merry Christmas LOL)

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tristan....get one! I would sure love to have more. The greenhouse I got this one from had another one that was almost all yellow....and of course very beautiful. I checked the phrags out on eBay and saw quite a few nice ones there and the prices weren't so bad either.

Pretty close, Tony. :-) It's Phragmipedium Saint Peter...(Eric Young x longifolium). And the paph next to it is Tonsuk x Shadow Magic who's flower just faded. It lasted a long time though. My phal is still going strong. Its amazing how long orchid flowers can last. You may have to wait a while for blooming but then you get many weeks of enjoyment out it.

Dyflam...the flower is a good size but not huge. The span from petal to petal is about 4 1/2". I wish I had a better picture of it.

Robert, I'll have to remind myself at Xmas I already have my present to myself. hehe Unfortunately, there will probably be more "christmas presents" this spring as I make the rounds of the greenhouses. lol (Um...I didn't mention the 10 gerber daisies I also bought that same day....) :biggrin:

Suzanne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AHH ok that explains why the petals are more elongated than Eric Young. (Eric Young is besseae x longifolium). I used to grow Eric Young and mature plants were almost continuously in flower. Great plant !
    Tony

Marshfield, MA (US) USDA zone 6 cold-temperate coastal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now I want a phrag too! Beautiful plant.

And I couldn't help but notice the Saintpaulia in the background...is that a trick of the light, or does one have BLUE flowers? Or are they dark violet?? I don't grow too many AVs and am clueless about the awesome variety out there. Off-topic, what's up with those blooms?

Chris

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast