What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Odd!

I added a small 7" oscilating desk fans to each of my large enclosures (on Khais advice). I notice the humidifiers are running less since installing the fans. The ultrasonic humidifiers are controlled by humidistats so I am taking this to mean that the air is being mixed better and a more stable RH is being held throughout the enclosure with air that is active?

To me the air doesn't feel as humid but the monitors say it is just as high as before (80%+ ) but now the air circulates more than before.

I'm just afraid that I'll wake up and see all my pitchers and orchid roots shriveled up into rasins. should I turn the fans off at night til the plants harden up from the fans during the day?

In my opinion the fans should be on 24/7, there is always an RH jump when darkness sets in so i feel they espescially need to be on at night. You most certainly can shut them off until the plants adjust if it makes you feel safe, personally i dont thinks its necessary.

In conjunction with the evening out of RH I presume youll see some slight temperature changes as well, perhaps not.

I hope this sets you at ease.
wink.gif

biggrin.gif

I'm just fearful for the Nep pitchers mostly, as their pitchers in progress are always very touchy (in regards to any drop in humidity) it doesn't take much change in environment to destroy the new pitchers that are just budding out.

I concure with your assesment that the air is being mixed better providing more uniform temp & RH.

You should not get water forming on your pitchers at night provided your plants stay above the dew point temp.  See the table at this web site http://www.tis-gdv.de/tis_e/misc/klima.htm.  If your enclosure cools to the dew point temp, assuming RH is not reduced, you will get condensation in the enclosure.  If the temp stays above the dew point temp only the items in the enclosure that are below the dew point will form condensation.

When your lights turn off at night, the heat gain from them is no longer heating the enclosure.  This lowers the temperature and increases the humidity.  As long as the temp does not drop to or below the dew point temp your plants should stay dry.

I hope this helps you.  If you already know this, I apologize for the science lesson.

Glenn

Back