What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to orchids

when i first began to grow orchids , my first one was a cattlyea witch ir ecived from ym grandmother , it died , then i went to trader joes and i brough a paph and a phal , the paph is still alive and oing well and the phal died along time ago , probabaly because it rotted but i reallydon't know . then my friend gave me an oncidium witch is still to young to flower . anyways i brought a new phal a couple days ago for a very cheap price and I want to knwo how to care for them properly so i don't kill them this time . i keep them in a terrarium with very little light , the plants are in ptos with a small water tray and the humidty is very high . i keep the paph , the phal , and the oncidium in the terrarium , if you have any tips or comment please tell me , the only plant i have in flwoer right now is my phal and I want to know how to pollinate it .

If you look at the flower head on, you'll see the column in the center. Hanging off of the column, on the bottom, is a small, sticky, triangular "thing". You'll see it. If you pull on it, it will stick to your finger. If you pulled on it right, there should be two little yellow round things attached to it. Directly behind where you pulled, you will see what I can only descibe as an upside down pool of gel. Stick the little round things to the gel, then leave the flower alone. The petals should fall off and the little pool of gel should close up. I hope this helps.

Mike
smile.gif

You will not be able to do anything with the seed unless you have access to a lab, steril media, tools etc.

Back