What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please Identifty ( o please please please!)

Well, at work today, I asked if I couldn't open these two boxes of plants. The first one tittilated me, as I saw dendrobium flowers! What suprised me even more when I opened the second box were yellow oncidium flowers! Oh my! We've never carried more than Phalaenopsis!!!

We ended up with Dendrobs, Oncidiums and Vandas!! WOOOOW!!! Yes. I really like Vandas, on the pricey side though, sixty bucks...

Anyways. There was one "Oncidium" that interested me. The floweres weren't opened yet, and to me, it didn't quite look oncidiumish.

It did grow from pseudobulbs, and the leaves did look like oncidiums. What caught my eye were the unopepend flower buds. The spike was tall and bending, with NO branches what so ever. It resembled a phalaenopsis spike, but much more frail. The buds themselves were too big to oncidiums, and had a purplish tinge to them... I am not aware of any oncidiums that are purple, though I could very well be wrong. The buds came off of the spike, individually, and all pointed in the direction that the spike was growing (though I'm thinking that that could be attributed to the light source), Again, not typical of an oncidium, as far as my knowledge leads me to believe, that is. The buds were slender, like a beak. Not too too long, so I"m not sure that its a brassia... If they were longer, I'd be wetting myself, but they're not quite long. They look like beaks. Volume wise, the buds look about equal with a dendrobium, but again, they're longer and they lack that little bit of a "tail", if u know what I mean...

Anyways. I THINK that that is all I can describe. I didn't get a look at the roots, as none of them were sticking out anywhere (can that be a clue too?)...

Any help would be appreciated. I set the plant aside RIGHT AWAY, now I just have to wait a week and a half for pay day...

Also. Marie, a co-worker, put aside a Vanda for herself... Do you have any quick words for the care of them? I gathered that they need reqular misting, or VERY high humidity as they aren't even planted in medium. They're sitting in small pots, attached to wooden orchid baskets... the roots just tied the plant down firmly... very pretty...

Thanks muchly!!!!!!!!!!!
Greg

Edit: Thru some research, I've come up with "Odontoglossum" as another candidate for what mine might be... The bud shape seems to be similar at least... Thoughts?

Greg -

As far as Vandas go, GEORGE-CP's orchid care sheet have 'em nailed.

Idenifying your mystery plant can be a challenge, even after the flowers open.  If you think it might be an Odont, it might just as easily be a member of the Oncidium/Odontoglossum Alliance which also contains numerous natural and artificial genera. Just as an example of the various genera involved, look here.

On the other hand, if the plant is an Odont cross, it's most likely one of the common crosses like Colmanara Wildcat and will be recognizable once the flowers open.  Time will tell, I guess.

Merlin

Thanks Merlin! Tony also told me that it could be an inter-general cross (sp?)...

I can't wait until it opens, I'm on tenterhooks...

and Merlin, Re: your sig..... You dork.
wink.gif

lol I think its funny.
biggrin.gif
Its better than mine. I need something clever.

The Oncidium sounds like an intergeneric, and if the buds were long and spike shaped, probably has some Brassia in it.

As for the Vanda, that's our specialty down here. Actually, maintaining high humidity around them is more important than misting. Vandas like a wet/dry cycle at their roots. Drench the roots until they turn green, then let them dry out. The surrounding air should be humid enough that this will take at least two hours. Once the roots have returned to their white color, drench again. Here in south Florida we often water our Vandas three times a day. If you haven't got the time, at least do this every morning during the summer. Misting is not so good-in fact, it can weaken then and invite disease. If you have a low humidity problem, wet down the ground under the plants, even if you have to run a sprinkler under them.
Vandas and Ascocendas are great. No other orchid group has the range of color.
Happy Growing!
Trent
Boca Raton, Florida

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PlantAKiss @ Aug. 14 2003,7:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">lol  I think its funny.  
biggrin.gif
  Its better than mine.  I need something clever.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Suzanne, it’s good to see that at least one other person here can appreciate sophisticated humor.
biggrin.gif
 These were my second choices…

As seen of a tee-shirt in NY City:
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that read binary and those that don’t.

And my favorite doggerel:

When the air is hot and sticky, that’s no time for dunkin’ dickie.
But when the frost is on the pumpkin, that’s the time for dickie dunkin’!

Merlin  
tounge.gif

Trent, I am not even sure that is an Onc. It says it is, but like I may have mentioned, its from a nursery that just stocks orchids more as novelty plants than as a specialty...

The thing that makes me think it's not an Onc is the fact that it does not branch at all...

Merlin. I like your sig. Its funny. I"m embarassed that I think so. But it is.
wink.gif
Hehehe...

oooh, it opened!!!

its so pretty. The flowe rlooks Oncidium like, but its so large.

a regular, 'standard' oncidium flower (sharry baby, that common yellow thing) could fit (with extra room) over just the "apron" part of the flowers... Its so beautiful!!!

Sounds like a great flower
smile.gif
.  Do we get to see a pic?

(Glad you like the siggy.  
biggrin.gif
)

Merlin

lol.

No, you don't.
Well, I'll try. No clue when thats going to happen.

Oh, nudder question.

I know the answer, but I'm hoping it contrary to what I know.

Lighting requirments?
sad.gif

What are the colors on your big Oncidium thing? If it's big and star shaped, it could be anything from a Miltassia to a Bealleara. We grow them at the bright end of Phalaenopsis conditions-almost like Cattleyas. Our biggest problem is the summer heat. They enjoy cool nights.

Trent

Uuuum.

Light purple, almost frilly, but not VERY frilly. Um... Its about as large as... Maybe a tough smaller than a phalaenopsis flower. its speckly. Light flecks, not spots, and its tinged yellow on the inside. The chamber for the pollinia protrudes, and faces down, like on a phal, but there is absolutly NO sort of 'landing pad' or lower protuberance. There is a curled up apron, just like on my oncidium "sharry baby" but the petals are slightly longer and pointy. They're narrow.

Wow, I looked at both of the genera on google, and both look like mine.

What sets the two apart? Are there anymore that, superficially at least, look like those?

Wow, I looked at both of the genera on google, and both look like mine.

What sets the two apart? Are there anymore that, superficially at least, look like those?

Sorry I was late to get back on this. There are tons of intergenerics along these lines. Luckily, most of the plants commercially available are mericlones. There are very few seedlings. The reason is a problem with sterility and low germination rates. These hybrids are genetically complicated, and most breeders are looking for that one really nice plant to put into mericloning.
I think your best bet is to keep digging thru internet sites and grower's sites who specialize in Oncidium intergenerics. Check out Everglades Orchids. Milton Carpenter is one of the first and foremost experts on Oncidium intergenerics. Someone somewhere has a picture of it up-just have to find it.
Good luck!
Trent

Back