What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ORCHIDS

I BOUGHT AN ORCHID, AND I DON'T KNOW IF I SHOULD REPOT IT. THERE IS AN EXPOSED ROOT AND ONE LEAF IS A LITTLE YELLOW ON THE TIP. SHOULD I REPOT IT.

Hi Jiana

The short answer is "probably not".  You didn't say what kind of orchid you have, but the most common are either Phals (also called "Moth Orchids" ) or Dendrobiums.  Exposed (aerial) roots are perfectly normal for both of these.  If the leaf that is yellowing is a lower leaf, then that, too, is perfectly normal - and you can expect that the leaf will die.  If the plant wasn't mistakenly potted in dirt but is rather in a mix that allows a lot of air to reach all the roots, then everything sounds okay - leave the plant alone, especially if it's in flower.

A yellow tip on an upper leaf could be a sign of disease or over-fertilization.  If you want to be 100% sure, slice off the tip with a sterile blade well below the yellow part and dust the exposed edge with ground cinnamon.

Hope this helps.

THANKS MERLIN. THAT WAS VERY HELPFUL

Back