Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Drac. vamp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do have high humidity as my humidistat is set right under the light at it's maximum setting (80%) so it's sensor stays drier than down where the plants are, this way I maintain 90%+ humidity but my tanks air is not stagnant as is the lowland terrarium (which is so hot and steamy you cough when you open it and inhale) the highland tank is constantly exchanged with fresh moving humidified air (like fog) so there is no actual water left on the leaves but when you touch the leaves you can feel that they are "clammy" and just about wet. The highland Nepenthes really like the extreme "swirling fog" conditions as well as bright light and fresh air. With the right placement these orchids do well but I really fried my Masd. wurdacki (sp?) with too much light by setting it next to my N. hamata this hurt the orchid pretty bad. I have since moved all my Masd. below the bench with the Paphs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    with the lighting i have it growing right with all the other highlander right under the 4' flor. light and there seams to be no harm what so ever. actually yesterday i cut off all the old growth on one of the Drac.Vamp. and alread there is 3 new leaves emerging from the potting mix. there is also humidity sitting on its leaves at all times as the fog rolls around in the stagment air with very litte air movment. also i beleave there is a spike coming from the root system.will beable to tell more in a couple of day.

there is a orchid show the 25-26 here in town from the local orchid soc. i already e-mailed the ladie for the times of the show. it will be interesting to see what they have and also are selling.
    George McKay

In The End We are All Dead
    Florida

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It should be noted that there are no plants for sale at this show.....

Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    chris, i was told there was going to be 9 venders there your in a diff. state then i am
    George McKay

In The End We are All Dead
    Florida

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We got an orchid show up here in MN (in the St. Paul como zoo conservatory to be exact) on those same days (1/25 - 1/26). I don't know if they will be selling anything but I read in the article that Orchids ltd will be there showing plants, maybe just advertising for the shop and not actually selling anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes it is the winter MOS show at the St paul conservatory.
    I dont believe they sell at this show.
    Its mostly for Judging, It is the only official AOS show in MN, meaning its the only show to be judged by an acting AOS judge, with all awards recorded. And it only happens once a year so its always a treat.
    I assisted in the set up of the OL display one year,we got screwed with the location we were given,
    thats what you get when the judge has a personal grudge against the owner of your company and a vested interest in seeing his display awarded. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img]
    We only got one AM-award of merit, most of us agreed that the plant didnt even deserve it but the "judge" apparently felt it was worthy, i suppose it was better than nothing.
    Luckily that man is no longer a member of the MN Orchid Society.

Peace [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Peace

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must say if youve got water standing on your leaves all day you need seriously need to improve your air movement, your just asking for an infection. Bacterial or Fungal.
    Why did you cut the old growth off of your Dracula?
    Was it dead?
    Peace

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oopps.....My fault, in minnnesota we have a show on the same days as said already. no sales at our show....Sorry, guess I should look before I start typing...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast