What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Orchid seed...

Hey, has anyone ever had success in germinating orchid seed without the use of TC?

I'm going to guess (hopefully) that terrestrial orchids are easier to germinate outside of TC than epiphytic. I'm going to be receiving a Bletilla Striata seed pod soon, just wondering if anyone has any tips for getting a plant or two from it.

i was guessign that too . i guess you can , because in the wild they probably just germiante where ever the seed goes .

Of course, usually the benefical bacteria is there, too.
confused.gif
rolleyes.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (lithopsman @ May 06 2003,6:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Of course, usually the benefical bacteria is there, too.
confused.gif

rolleyes.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I thought it was beneficial Fungi.

Mike
smile.gif

Hehe, so I guess I should make sure the media has been sitting for awhile?
tounge.gif

I wish that was how it worked, but unfortunately, it is a natural bacteria or fungi (mike)
tounge.gif
confused.gif
Supposedly people are working on ways of isolating the fungi for the general public!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

Vertigo I think you will soon find once you have Bletilla striata, you will never be rid of it.
It is self fertile so no need to bother with pollenating. In the green house these plants are pests, they grow fast and can crowd out other slower growing plants.

biggrin.gif

Any special mix for terrestrial orchids?

It will grow in whatever you put it in but I like a blend of coir and perlite.
biggrin.gif

I'm not sure if I can get coir without fertilizer in it. Any clue how sensitive these are to it? Could I just use a peat perlite mix?
confused.gif

Peat will work, just make sure youve got at least 50% perlite.

orchid seed is without cotyledons and must have the symbiotic fungus to germinate. The fungus "eats" the seed coat and provides sugars for the embryo. In the early days of orchid culture, British botanists would scatter the seed on the growing medium of the mother plant. If the mother plant was well established, there would often be a growth of the associated fungi in the medium. You might try germinating your seed this way, but there aren't any guaranteed results. Nowadays, most seed is germinated in a lab with the proper enzymes and/or fungi present in the petri dish. Good luck!

HI guys,

A little more on Carcey's,

Try laying some roots from the parent plant on some sterile sand (COOK IT IN THE OVEN FOR AN HOUR OR TWO) scatter the seed over the roots and cover with dark plastic after moistening the sand with boiled water that has cooled to room temperature. I have used this method successfully with Cattleyas and Epidendrums.

Good luck, Chris.

Back