What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Novice!

I just bought my 1st Orchid. Boy, is it beautiful. I'd like any care information anyone can give me. I understand they like the same environment as most carniverous plants. Thank you in advance for your replies!

Do you know what kind it is or just describe the flowers to me.

orchids come in two basic groups:
terrestrial (grow in the ground)
epiphytic (grow on other plants, exposed to the air)

do you know what basic group your plant is in? I can then help you out
Chris

Hi Robertl

Did your orchid come with a tag? There are many different types of orchids and the requirements can vary. They do appreciate humidity but many can be grown indoors without too much fuss. The vast majority you find in greenhouses and stores are the epiphytic variety. The terrestrials need a pretty specific environment and can be very expensive. I've never seen a terrestrial sold in a store.

If you could provide a little more info I'm sure we can help you out. I'm glad you got an orchid though. I have two that have been in bloom for quite a few weeks now and are still going strong.

Suzanne

Hi,
It is a dendrobium. I bought it at Lowes so of coarse, no one really knew what to say about its proper care......
It has beautiful deep purple flowers (3) on one long shoot and 2 smaller shoots on each side of the larger one. Does it need to stay in a southern or eastern window? I've been keeping it misted along with my tropicals. How about fertilizer? Thanks for your help!

here is a helpful page for dendrobs:
<a href="http://www.orchidweb.com/dendcare.htm

Try" target="_blank">http://www.orchidweb.com/dendcare.htm

Try</a> to give it high light, but not much direct burning sun. Mist is daily as you are now. You may buy a specialty orchid fertilizer (I use Schultz) at places like Lowes. Only water when the top 1/2 inch of medium is dry. Do not overwater!
smile.gif

Any more questions?
Chris

You shouldn't have any problems with your den...they are one of the easiest so that's why places like Lowes sell them. An east window provides good light...direct early sun which isn't too hot and then bright light. That's where mine are and they do quite well. Orchids are weak feeders so usually the recommendation is 1/2 strength when you use it. Mine are normally watered twice a week, maybe more if its hot in the house (I don't use my A.C.). They are good bloomers. I don't know what yours is potted in but being epiphytes, they like a nice airy medium which will not get soggy...orchid bark, lava rock, some people use osmunda fiber...and I think this is gross but some people use styrofoam peanuts. Orchids pots (with side holes) and wooden orchid baskets are good as they let air in to the roots. You can buy orchid clips which can help anchor your plant in the pot (some orchids are top-heavy compared to their root system) and there are some nice clip hangers you can get that will attach to any pot or basket.

Enjoy your blooms...they should last for several weeks. Now....you need to get a paphiopedilum. :biggrin:

Suzanne

Thanks for all of your great advice. I'm on my way to buy a paphiopedilum! I Can't wait to see how this all goes............

Back