What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our first one!

schloaty

Staff member
Well folks, I went and did it. I bought my wife an orchid for our anniversary. A nice, big, healthy one from the local nursery (they were on special...I made sure I didn't get ripped off TOO badly). Anyway, they said it is a Phalenopsis (spelling? or even close to the right name for the genous?). Nice big white flowers with a yellowing center.

If We can manage to keep this alive to the next flowering cycle, it inspire us to get more of them....
rolleyes.gif

That's a great first orchid and an almost but not completely correct spelling attempt. A google search for phalaenopsis culture will turn up plenty of info. If it has finished blooming, you should proably repot it. Growers sell them to retailers right before the plants need to be re-potted. The main issue isn't the size of the pot, but the soggy, decaying mix inside will kill the roots.

Congrats Schloaty! Hahahahaha...now you will find the OTHER, hidden addiction...orchids! Eventually people wind up here.
smile.gif

Your phal is a good starter orchid although there are many that are pretty easy to grow. Phals prefer lower light conditions than some other orchids so they work well indoors.

You can check out the pinned care sheets at the top of the forum. It is best to wait til blooming is over to repot IF it needs it. Its normal to see roots exposed. Don't keep them too wet...they can get root rot.

After your phal has finished blooming, you can cut the spikes off after about the third node and you may get new spikes. Some people like to do that but the flowers will probably not be as robust.

I have some that I just didn't get a chance to cut before I saw a new set of blooms...so its been in bloom for quite a few months.

Suzanne

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You can check out the pinned care sheets at the top of the forum[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

That was the first thing I did the morning after I brought it home! I went right to the care sheet and printed out the whole darn book for my wife (big thanks to George!&#33
wink.gif

Thanks for the advice! Cheers.
biggrin.gif

Thought I would chime in and say, congrats! I bought my first two orchinds, in a long long time, yesterday. We can learn together
smile.gif

Back