What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Orchid ID

Hi all, I've never had an orchid, so I need some quick help! My dad brought home a plant from a friend monday (3 days ago) and it's been sitting in the dark laundry room since! I'm wondering if anyone knows what type of orchid this is. My dad obtained it from someone who swears that you use regular potting soil, he has some 'growing wild' in his backyard. It's supposedly a small purple flower, shaped like star jasmine. I was under the impression that orchid mix would normally be the protocol? I need to pot this poor thing fast, I'm so afraid it's going to croak!

orchid.jpg

Thanks in advance!  
biggrin.gif

Looks like a dendrobium to me but its rather scanty looking. I emailed you some care tips and a photo. Good luck...and you might find yourself wanting to try a few more orchids...and a few more...and ....:D

Suzanne

Thanks Suzanne!

Looks like we're orchid-orphan mommies!
biggrin.gif

Well, poo!
I woke my dad up to look at the dentrobium pictures, and he says the stems/leaves look the same, but the flowers definetly are like Phal. equestris rosea var. ilocos because of the shape and size. I guess we'll all have to wait and find out!
biggrin.gif

Nah, I agree with Suzanne that looks like a Dendrob. One thing is sure - there is absolutely no way that is any kind of Phaelanopsis (sp?).
Dendrobs come in all kinds of colours and flower sizes, I have a couple that have smaller, purple flowers. Always many flowers on each spike though.
Post a pic of it in flower, that'll help.

Three days in the dark wouldn't have made a lot of difference but your one needs a bit of light.

Dendrobs (and Phals) like VERY open mixes, I have most of mine growing either in big chunks of charcoal, in empty clay or wooden baskets with no media at all, or bound to a tree with twine. They won't croak without soil, I sometimes leave them out on the ground for weeks and they survive.

Cheers, FB

Thanks Fatboy and Suzanne,

It's now potted in orchid mix (AKA Pile of Bark) in a small pot and I'm going to put it where it'll get plenty of indirect light. I'm crossing my fingers, and can't wait to see what pops up!

Yeah, its definitely NOT a phal. While dens do have a "traditional" flower shape, there are many others that don't look dendrobium-ish. There are antelope dendrobiums and some "pixie" varieties where the flower petals are much thinner and look more "star" shaped. I'm trying to find a good pic to send you.

I think its a dendrobium that hasn't had good care as its so sparse and thin. But give it some good light, lots of water with good drainage, an airy mixture like Fatboy said and a bit of fertilizer and it will reward you. And won't it be fun to see what it looks like.
smile.gif
You will have all summer to pamper it and maybe get new canes...and then in the fall you might get flower spikes.

Always fun to get a new plant to take care of. Now all you need is a phrag or a paph as a companion. lol

Suzanne

I agree that it's probably a Dendrobium but I don't think it's in such bad shape.  There's a lot of Dens that grow long canes with the leaves clustered near the tip.

Suzanne - I've been meaning to tell you - I love that picture of the long-nosed beast you have under your name.  Looks just like the wirehair we had while I was growing up
smile.gif

Finally! I guess my lecture about orchid-irresponsibility got to my dad. He asked the guy to bring in one of the flowers, so here's a pic. I have NO IDEA why my dad said the flowers were purple. Is this even an orchid?
confused.gif

orchid2.jpg

Wow Michelle...beautiful flower! It doesn't look like any den I've ever seen but, again, I'm far from any expert. I defer to Merlin! But that should be awsome in bloom whatever it is! What kind of roots does this plant have?

Merlin...I do love my long-nose beast.
biggrin.gif
His name is Jonah (formally Jonah Thunderwhiskers). He is the sweetest thing! There's no dog quite like a wire fox. Everyone who knows me, knows my dog. He makes people laugh everywhere he goes. I have a ton of pics of him...my father calls him "The World's Most Photographed Dog." lol But he has a very nice smile so I can't resist a photo op.
smile.gif
How long did you have your wire?

Suzanne

Hi Michelle,

Do a search for Epidendrum radicans, it looks very much like this species.

Regards,

Christer

Thanks Christer,

You're absolutely right. It's an orange red Epidendrum radicans of some sort, I'm not sure if it's a common or other variety, but that looks like the right ID! You win...the admiration of everyone else here. Yeah, that's it! From what I'm reading, I'm going to have plenty of these guys to give out later if it does well.

Cheers!
-Michelle

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PlantAKiss @ June 20 2002,6:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Merlin...I do love my long-nose beast.  
biggrin.gif
 His name is Jonah (formally Jonah Thunderwhiskers).  He is the sweetest thing!  There's no dog quite like a wire fox.  Everyone who knows me, knows my dog.  He makes people laugh everywhere he goes.  I have a ton of pics of him...my father calls him "The World's Most Photographed Dog."  lol  But he has a very nice smile so I can't resist a photo op.  
smile.gif
 How long did you have your wire?
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Suzanne, we had Penny during my growing-up years and he was still going strong when I moved out after college.  We'd gotten him cheap from a breeder because he was oversized (think Kerry Blue in fox terrier drag).  He also had enormous teeth - like one of those cuddly science fiction creatures that suddenly open up a mouth of 6-inch fangs.  As soon as somebody would start saying how cute and fluffy he looked, I'd peel back his lip and watch their faces - great fun
smile.gif
.  Of course, he was a typical terrier - fearless and totally insane!  He was great dog for a boy.

I like your hands...

They look well kept, and your nails are trimed nicely.

I suggest gel nails, how fun, and with a design!

Parasuco,

Thanks for the compliment. All I do is cut them. No trimming, no primping, no nail polish. I'm a computer for godsakes!

And, I'm too old for you!
confused.gif

Uh, computer person I mean. Too busy laughing at your post...

You are too old? Well well, arent we modest...
confused.gif

Is that what you were thinking? If so, check out my heliconia post, theres a pic... hun...

Hehehehe....

Oh, I saw your pic. That was the joke about being too old for ya, it looks like you've already got a lady-friend!
biggrin.gif

I recommend nail decals.
biggrin.gif

Thats my niece, isnt she CUTE?!?!?!

Heehee!!!!!!!

Back