Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Orchid ID

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink

Hi all, I've never had an orchid, so I need some quick help! My dad brought home a plant from a friend monday (3 days ago) and it's been sitting in the dark laundry room since! I'm wondering if anyone knows what type of orchid this is. My dad obtained it from someone who swears that you use regular potting soil, he has some 'growing wild' in his backyard. It's supposedly a small purple flower, shaped like star jasmine. I was under the impression that orchid mix would normally be the protocol? I need to pot this poor thing fast, I'm so afraid it's going to croak!

[img]http://home.**********.com/wickedthistle/orchid.jpg[/img]

Thanks in advance! [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    A flytrap ate my homework!
    -Michelle

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a dendrobium to me but its rather scanty looking. I emailed you some care tips and a photo. Good luck...and you might find yourself wanting to try a few more orchids...and a few more...and ....

Suzanne
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Suzanne!

Looks like we're orchid-orphan mommies! [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    -Michelle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, poo!
    I woke my dad up to look at the dentrobium pictures, and he says the stems/leaves look the same, but the flowers definetly are like Phal. equestris rosea var. ilocos because of the shape and size. I guess we'll all have to wait and find out! [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    -Michelle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah, I agree with Suzanne that looks like a Dendrob. One thing is sure - there is absolutely no way that is any kind of Phaelanopsis (sp?).
    Dendrobs come in all kinds of colours and flower sizes, I have a couple that have smaller, purple flowers. Always many flowers on each spike though.
    Post a pic of it in flower, that'll help.

Three days in the dark wouldn't have made a lot of difference but your one needs a bit of light.

Dendrobs (and Phals) like VERY open mixes, I have most of mine growing either in big chunks of charcoal, in empty clay or wooden baskets with no media at all, or bound to a tree with twine. They won't croak without soil, I sometimes leave them out on the ground for weeks and they survive.

Cheers, FB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Fatboy and Suzanne,

It's now potted in orchid mix (AKA Pile of Bark) in a small pot and I'm going to put it where it'll get plenty of indirect light. I'm crossing my fingers, and can't wait to see what pops up!
    -Michelle

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, its definitely NOT a phal. While dens do have a "traditional" flower shape, there are many others that don't look dendrobium-ish. There are antelope dendrobiums and some "pixie" varieties where the flower petals are much thinner and look more "star" shaped. I'm trying to find a good pic to send you.

I think its a dendrobium that hasn't had good care as its so sparse and thin. But give it some good light, lots of water with good drainage, an airy mixture like Fatboy said and a bit of fertilizer and it will reward you. And won't it be fun to see what it looks like. [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] You will have all summer to pamper it and maybe get new canes...and then in the fall you might get flower spikes.

Always fun to get a new plant to take care of. Now all you need is a phrag or a paph as a companion. lol

Suzanne
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that it's probably a Dendrobium but I don't think it's in such bad shape. There's a lot of Dens that grow long canes with the leaves clustered near the tip.

Suzanne - I've been meaning to tell you - I love that picture of the long-nosed beast you have under your name. Looks just like the wirehair we had while I was growing up [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

Ageing is not a problem, ageing is a privilege.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast