What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Waxing a dedrobium cane?

Somebody told me about putting melted Parafin wax on the cut ends of a Dendrobium Cane when using Vegitative Reproduction. Can anybody give me a reason why I should do this?
confused.gif

monkeyman,
I'm taking a guess that it is to seal the ends of the cane. Whether it is to prevent moisture loss or prevent rotting from starting before then roots sprout I don't know. It could be either or neither of those two reasons.

Huh, I've seen people do this for lucky bamboo canes - though roots certainly won't grow through the wax on those. It does seem to promote a side branch to grow, and prevent mold and rotting as BCK guessed.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (wickedthistle @ Dec. 09 2002,8:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Huh, I've seen people do this for lucky bamboo canes - though roots certainly won't grow through the wax on those. It does seem to promote a side branch to grow, and prevent mold and rotting as BCK guessed.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
It IS to seal the wound thats why its called horticultural wax.

Peace
biggrin.gif

Back