Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My first orchid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the great info guys,

Based on Khai's points, I'd say the canes are pretty uniform in size from bottom to top, can't compare to say what would be thin but I'd describe these canes as being rather plump. The tallest cane is about 16 inches from the base of the pot (I measured just this AM cause I want to look for a glass jar big enough to cover it and help provide some humidity). Since it seems Phal's are more common, I'll give it treatment to fit them and see what happens. Looks like two little nodes are coming from the bottom of the tallest cane (the one with the most leaves). Not sure if it is a new cane or a keiki (sp?) either way I feel like my little rescue is going to make it.

Ok, my last question for the week----- Am I correct in understanding that flowers will be on the new canes and that as new canes establish I can expect the old ones to die off? Will the leaves on the current canes start to drop off as the new canes begin to grow? How many new canes can be expected in a growing season?

Sorry, guess that is more than one question. Have a good weekend all.
    Linda in PA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, my guess would be that those two little nodes at the base of the cane are root buds. But time will tell [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Given the way you've described the plant, I would certainly expect the leaves on a cane to drop as the cane ages. I would also expect that only the youngest cane would flower - but, as I said, you might be pleasantly surprised. You should start seeing multiple new canes as the plant matures -depending , of course, on factors like health, genetics and growing conditions.
    Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

Ageing is not a problem, ageing is a privilege.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again Merlin, I love all this good info.

New roots, thats interesting and I will look closer tonite, but unless new roots are green and are growing up I think it is something else. At least one of the new sprouts is, I guess, close to 1/2 inches and coming out of the side of a cane, close to the bottom but not at the dirt level. It is green and I'd describe it to be segmented, kind of like this but growing at an upward angle: <<<<< . The second sprout I referred to is very close to this one and not growing as quickley, it may be a root, although I still remember it being more green colored (wouldn't root be white?)

With any luck I'll be able to move the plant to the front mud room this weekend, if the weather does as its predicted. Can't believe its the first of June and we had frost this AM. If nothing else, I'm going to start moving it out on the porch for the day and back in at nite if need be.

Thanks again, I love keeping this thread going, I can keep all the good info in one place when I print it off.
    Linda in PA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, a 1/2 inch segmented green thing growing upwards isn't a root [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] . As far as the other one, the growing tip of a root would be green but the area right behind it would be chalky white. So if it's longer than 1/8 of an inch or so and still not showing white, then it's probably not a root either.
    Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

Ageing is not a problem, ageing is a privilege.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are both dorment eyes, if one is growing that will be the next growth.
    Leaves are usually held for several years. It is usually the older pseudobulbs that flower first and often new growth will not flower its first season as their maturity does not always coincide with the initiation of flowers.

FWIW

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Peace

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys are great, thanks so much. I've concluded one growth is a new cane and its growing at a pretty good clip too. The other looks like its a new root, the tip is green and growing more curved down and is still very smooth.

I'm so pleased with how its doing being a resuce. I'm off to Lowes today and maybe I'll find another to add to the collection.

Thanks again guys,
    Linda in PA

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123