Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oncidium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How swollen is a swollen bulb? All of mine are kinda flat... ish.
    The older looking ones are coregated... Am I supposed to put water down between the leaves?

Thanks. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They will tend to be sorta oval like if you look at them from the top down. Yes the older ones will often be somewhat wrinkled and corregated as you put it. They should be fairly firm, particularly the younger ones.

When you water be sure to give the whole pot a thorough flushing then let it get almost dry again before you give it a another good drench.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I flush all of my orchids when I water them. How can I tell ifit's dry? Its bark, so its hard to stick my finger in...

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Parasuco

Congrats on your Sharry Baby. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] I have been looking for that one for a good while and added it to my collection just a couple of months ago. Mine has finished it first bloom spike and has two more spikes coming up, one already forming new buds. You won't be able to try this now, but when yours blooms again, smell it...they are known for their fragrance as they smell a bit like chocolate although they lose their scent at night.

How often you water depends on a lot of things like temperature and humidity. If its somewhere hot (like outside), you will have to water more frequently. Indoors I water about twice a week, more if something is looking dry. But I moved most of my orchids outside this year so I have to water more often. Morning waterings are good since it gives the plants time to dry off before the cooler nites. I'd try wiggling a finger down into the bark to check it.

And as with many orchids, they only bloom off new growth. So just give it some TLC and you'll get new blooms probably in the fall.

Suzanne
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok cool thanks... It was sorta an impulse buy... My mom was going the city with a rich people garden center, where they have a regular perenials/annuals, a big water plant section (where they sell three or four kinds of sarr), and a tropical house plant/ hobby plant area type dealy... I had around $130 pay, so I asked if I could go with her... I didnt buy anything there... My mom wanted to go to a different city's version of that store... Thats where I saw a bench of orchids... Most were marked down kuz they were dying or had no flowers left... I got it fro thirty bucks, thats including the Tillandsia pruimosa...

Like I said before though... there are three three bulbs, and average leaf lenght on the plant is 47cm (sorry, couldnt find my inches ruler)... It is in a shallowish looking four inch diameter pot... Do you think I should repot? There are no flowers to shock off, so It wont hurt (I dont think)...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Greg, funnily enough I was at a friend's place today (he owns a public orchid garden) and he showed me a bunch of new ones that he has just purchased and Sharry Baby was one of them. He had one in flower and it was stunning, flowers almost the same size and shape as my Golden Shower but they were a brown/ purple (sherry?) colour.

He didn't have any to sell though [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img]

Cheers, Troy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like I said... I got mine at a regular garden center... Well. Its for rich snobs, but other than that, its regular...

Why not try looking around, or even see if a garden center with orchids can order you one?

If Something happens, and it becomes possible to send you some of mine (no idea how), then I could... Maybe as a trade for that bromilead, or sumthing [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img]

Yea... Hehehe...

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Fatboy...

Did you give that Sharry Baby a sniff? The scent is light but a definite chocolately fragrance. Mine just opened a flower bud yesterday but the spike is still filling out...and a third one on the way. I like the color of the Sharry Baby because so many oncidiums are yellow. I have a baby 'Sweet Sugar' that is yellow.

Suzanne
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast