Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Question for the orchid masters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i just found this web page that has the ghost orchid or Polyrrhiza lindenii in tissue culture here in florida

ghost orchid flask

not really that expensive eather from looking at the price but it looks like you have to buy a bunch of them.
    George McKay

In The End We are All Dead
    Florida

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coryanthes macrantha is a frequent bloomer usually twice a year sometimes more. I know you can ge C. macrantha and C. macrantha aurea from OL.
    I selected the aurea.

George havent you ever seen a white Pahp?
    We had tons of the #### things, Im not a fan of white Pahps
    unless were talking about section brachypetalum that is.

You know I really dont see the fascination with the leafless orchids at all, I mean cmon its just a bunch of roots that may or may not flower!

Peace [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Peace

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    heh heh! Yeah, roots are not the most attractive thing.

For me it's more a novelty than a "desired" orchid. I found one at petiete plaisance orchids but there is a lot more than just that one that I'd rather have first! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    khai, around here you don't get to see to many paph. in the diy stores there more in the nursery's or botanical gardens. i was lucky to find the one paph. in home depot that i got. yes, i have seen 2 white paph in my time but, bob the owner of tropiflora had them in his collection and not for sale. there is a show coming up next month close by. might go to that and see what i can find.

the ghost is more of a novalty. your right the roots aren't really that attractive but the flower really is very pretty. the only reason i would get it is because it is a very rare plant in the wild down here now do to pulching in the everglades of orchids.

i remember when i was younger. you used to be able to go out in the sticks and see all kinds of ochids now adays. your lucky to see any of them growing in the wild. there all stuck in nurseries or tissue culture to keep them around now.
    George McKay

Florida

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, its sad what humans do to the planet in order reap aesthetic appeal.
    If you like white Paphs then keep an eye out for Pahpiopedulum ang-thon. This is a relatively rare, (pure white iif you can find the alba form)slipper from the section brachypetulum, (Brachys' for short).

I wasnt speeking about DIY stores to begin with, I generally dont look for orchids at these places anyway. I have a real problem with stores like Home Depot and Target selling orchids. They buy mass produced junk from Taiwan, plants that were produced with no vision other than to make money.

Companies like that have no intention in furthering the future of the industry, only thier own.

Yeah my desires lie mostly with Orchids that smell, espcially if the smell like crap!

Peace [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Peace

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usually when i get a orchid from there it is to rescue the poor plant from them not taken care of it the right way. heck the one i got the leaves where almost all melted but, with a little trimming and some tlc the plant looks great now.
    George McKay

Florida

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it really so bad to mass produce orchids and sell them in volume for people to enjoy the flowers? Even if the plants don't live so what? They cost less than a bouquet from a flower shop and last much longer... Not a whole lot different than filling your gardens with annuals every spring knowing they will be dead come a hard frost in the fall.

As for warm growing orchids there are piles of them.. Some of the smaller Angreacum are nice but most get big. You could look at Aerangis as these are typically much smaller and grow well mounted. Paphinia from South America is a neat genus that has pendant inflorescences and does well warm. They make very large colorful flowers. Another of my favorites is Cochleanthes amazonica.
    Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Is it really so bad to mass produce orchids and sell them in volume for people to enjoy the flowers? Even if the plants don't live so what? "

That statement alone is offensive the idea of disposable plants makes me sick, its a lack of respect for all things living, most certainly when you consider what they mean to our existance.
    It also may cause newcomers to the hobby to give up prematurely as they offer substandard stock to people that may not know any better.

"Not a whole lot different than filling your gardens with annuals every spring knowing they will be dead come a hard frost in the fall."

I dont condone this pratice either. Again it is wasteful and perpetuates the wasteful attitude.

Cochleanthes amazonica is certainly interesting in a muted subtle way. I never really cared much for the flower, though their growth habit is somewhat attractive, they are a very hardy plant though, mine grew like weeds.
    Aerangis are great and most smell wonderful, some like rubberbands if youve ever sniffed a rubberband youll know what im talking about.

Peace

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast