Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Question for the orchid masters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fail to see how growing an annual in your flower garden or farm raised orchids is wasteful or disrespecting to living things. Personally I think it shows alot of respect to want to grow flowers and be able to get them to people that wouldn't otherwise ever get to enjoy one in the flesh.

Do people kill the orchids from home depot etc? probably the great majority. Does it discourage some? probably. Does it open many peoples eyes to the wonderful world of orchids? Absolutely! Do many of them then go on to learn and educate themselves so that they can become true hobbyists? probably.

I totally think however that living things in the wild, plant or animal, is another issue and the utmost respect should be given to them.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To add to the above argument of annual's being legitamatly fair to the plant, there ARE annuals in nature...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all dont put words in my mouth!
    I never said the act of growing was disrespectful.
    It is the wastefull behaviour that I loath.

There was a man in the news in my area recently because of his electricity bill. It seems he pays 1100 dollars a months beacuse of his Xmas light display.
    His comment was " I can afford it so why shouldnt I?".

Well because its wastefull and entirely unnecessary!

So Tony IM gonna stop this topic now, because you and i could go back and forth forever. Which really isnt beneficial to the forums.

I will say this, you have an opinion and i respect that.
    Please respect mine.

Peace [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Peace

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote (Parasuco @ Dec. 31 2002,12:53)
    To add to the above argument of annual's being legitamatly fair to the plant, there ARE annuals in nature...[/QUOTE]
    Yes there are annuals in nature. but NO WHERE in nature are there several hundred yards of lets say impatients that have been fed chemical fertilizers and toxic pesticides and herbicides all their lives that simply die every season to leach all that has been fed to them back into the ground water.
    Peace

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes we could go back and forth. There is nothing wrong with a mature debate. It is how we learn from each other to see different points of view. No where does that indicate that I don't respect your opinion even though I fail to understand it.

I will leave the topic open, but since you would rather not carry on a mature conversation then neither shall I.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems as though this may be over... If it is, excuse my rebuttle...

Khai... You said: "Yes there are annuals in nature. but NO WHERE in nature are there several hundred yards of lets say impatients that have been fed chemical fertilizers and toxic pesticides and herbicides all their lives that simply die every season to leach all that has been fed to them back into the ground water."

Tell me, Do you eat beef?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I do eat beef
    Peace

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've wanted to try the ghost orchid for a while, but I'm not ready to yet. It's supposed to be a real challenge, I believe it's not particularly difficult to deflask, but tends to occasionally die off suddenly. I vaguely recall a discussion on usenet (rec.gardens.orchids?) on deflasking it, involving the person that sells them and a person who had good success deflasking them. You could try searching on google.com groups, it might turn up.

And about the home depot orchid argument. I'm not against mass producing orchids at all, I think it is a very good thing. I just don't understand why places like home depot can "sell" them, killing 4/5 of the plants, simply because light and water aren't given to any of the plants, ever. What bothers me even more, is when misleading information on how to grow plants is deliberately given (read the caresheets on cyclamen this time of year - most won't give good enough information to keep the plant alive for more than about 2-3 weeks, simply so people will buy more instead of just growing one for a longer time).

9. Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast