Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Question for the orchid masters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi folks,

I'll have my new lowland terrarium setup with netting on back & sides for mounted orchids but I would like to know what some orchid genus suggestions might be for this environment:

320-400 watts flourescent light
    70-90*F temps
    80%+ humidity

The orchids do not have to be "miniature" or small (the tank is 6 X 6 X 3) but they will have to be mountable on orchid bark, driftwood, hydro logs or whatever and hung at the edges of these lights (they wouldn't be under the full blast of the lights as the Nepenthes will be there). I was just wondering if you orchid experts might have some suggestions on warm growing plants I could look into to decorate the walls. I already have a few Bulbophyllums to go in but am I limited to Bulbophyllums and Phalenopsis?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sword what they usally sell in the DIY store around here are

Phal.
    cattleya
    brassa
    bendrobium

anything else you usally have to order off line or go into a nursery and still they are hard to find other ochids

hope that helped some
    George McKay

In The End We are All Dead
    Florida

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I plan on getting the plants from an online source or at Orchids ltd if I just can't wait for priorty mail. I don't care much for the ones at the local shops like phals and such I liek the weirder ones Myabe a "ghost orchid" which is just the mass of silvery roots which flowers now and then! I do like Brassias, If I could find a brassia at a local shop without black spot disease on the foliage and at a good price I'd buy it. But they need cooler nights than 70*f for long term growth don't they?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Br. i got that one at home depot but, i saw it in walmart this week when i was in there with a couple of others that was in bags. got one but, don't remember what kind it is with out looking at the name tag.

heck, if they come from tropiflora they don't have any cooling systems in there g/h.

i just keep it on the back porch out of the sun. just got it this year and haven't had it bloom yet but, the foliage looks in great shape.

the ghost orchid that is a rare one. i have only seen that one at shelby gardens down here. thats a small botanical garden around here. they got a small walk threw orchid garden w/ lots of orchids but, only one nep on display. they get all there neps and other carni. plants from argi-starts. that is what the head ladie told me from there. meet her once at the plant fair at tropiflora.
    George McKay

Florida

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might want to look at the Angraecoids. A lot of them grow warm. Hoosier Orchids usually has a good variety.
    Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

Ageing is not a problem, ageing is a privilege.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brassias are no good for a warm growing environment, neither are most Cattleyas. Just because someone can grow a plant well and the foliage looks good does not mean that plant is flowering just the same. For instance my former boss grew severel specimens of Epigenium lyonii for severel years with out flowering them once.The plants looked wonderful grew wonderfully but never flowered. So I decided to do some research on what little information was avaiable on the genus and found they were beeing grown entirly too cool. So I put one of them in our phal house and BOOM 25 spikes and 100 some flowers with in 2 months, theyve been flowering regularly ever since. Tropifloras main product are Bromeliads, Bananas and Plumerias, all terrestrials, not epiphytes like Orchids.
    Some Phals will do well. particulaly those species that come from warmer climates.
    If your looking in to Angraecum the Madegascan species would suit your environment better. Most African species prefere cooler nights.
    I dont think youll be finding a Ghost Orchid anytime soon, although Jerry does claim to have one, no ones ever seen it flower. Gimme a lill time and Ill come up with a list for you, k [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]

Peace [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Peace

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    khai, your right that tropiflora is mostly Brom. but, they do have like 2 g/h in orchids. last time i stopped in there Bob the owner just got back from a show and had 2 white Paph in a box.

khai, ya i'll give ya time i would like to know where to get a ghost orchid really cheap but, dought it if they are at all. if it is any thing like the Drac. in price
    George McKay

Florida

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't remember where it was that I saw "ghost orchids" online but it was in the last year or so. I thought it was Tropiflora but looking at their site the other day I didn't see anything too exciting at all.

I like the weird orchids. Is Coryanthes macrantha a frequent bloomer? Since their flowers only last a few days and attract only one kind of bee I would assume they flower more than once per "season" but then due to the compexity of the flower maybe not...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast