Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: D day for orchid buying

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So have you aquired D. spectabilis yet? If not id say this is definatley a must for you.
    Im a big fan of Dendrobiums myself, with nearly 1100 species its the second largest Orchid genus, next to Bulbophyllum.
    Im a big fan of the Australian Dendrobiums.

Well I normally make sure Ive got at least 3 pseudobulbs per division but the more the better, dont be afraid to take a saw to the plant and just slice it right down the middle. Sometimes that is neccesary due to under potting. Otherwise you can usually find the middle of the plant if its not too dense, then seperate most of the roots according to that line, once most of your roots have been sperated you can then snap the rhizome at that predetermined point this way you minimize the risk of infection by not introducing any foreign objects to the wound. I also like the Phyton 50 plant wound paste for these types of procedures.

Keep us updated [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]
    Peace

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only have this one Dendrobium right now it was the first Dendrobium I ever noticed. I didn't know it was a Den cos of the weird shaped canes and interesting flowers.
    I have since ordered a book on the Latourea Orchids (not here yet, from KEW so it might be June before I see that in my mailbox) but I may experiment and see if I can grow them in the house when I make the divisions because the floor space inside the terrariums are at a premium with all the Neps. I my need to vow to stick with the mounted orchids if I am unable to grow them in the house. This dang D. polysema is taking up a lotta space (could say I thought it was a "medium" sized plant til I put it in there, suddenly it's huge) !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They certainley grow like a weed, Id imagine youd have no problems growing them on a sunny window sill.

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Peace

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12