Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I GOT ONE, I GOT ONE!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, Paph roots are hairy and brown while Phal roots are smooth and silvery-green.
    Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

Ageing is not a problem, ageing is a privilege.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got another today. I was at a garden center (If i ever use the term garden center, its a garden center, not a cheap @$$ roadside thing, or grocery store, i mean a good, reputable garden center), and I noticed a phal on the potting bench without blooms. I asked if I could get it for discount... It was originally thirty five dollars, but she gave it to me for five!!! There is still a flower spike, but the secret is, there are still buds forming! Heehee... I cant wait to see the colour!!! I repotted it, because it was sitting in half a pot of dried sphagnum, there wasnt enough there, u know? I bought some fertilizer, and i gave it to both of my orchids... The leaves are a BIT yellowy, but i'm sure that they'll come back after some nursing... even if they dont, i'm sure I can keep it alive... they are specialty plants .'. i will do well with them, funny...

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can often get a deal on out-of-bloom orchids. Orchids tend to sell best in a shop when they are nice and showy with blooms. But if you don't mind waiting a bit for new blooms, thats a nice way to pick up new ones and save a little money. And like you, I've bought out-of-bloom orchids that I noticed were setting a new spike. That makes it an even better deal! Plus you have a nice surprise when they bloom and you find out what you have. [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] I've also wheedled down the price on a few orchids from Lowes that looked bad from their shoddy care, but felt like they could be revived.

I'm glad you're enjoying your orchids. [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Suzanne
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For my first orchid, the one that is bigger... Do I cut off the arieal roots that are wrinkled, and gone all to H-E double hockey stick?

The small one (the new bargain one), has one HARD leaf, one yellowy floppy, and one in between... When do i remove, and how do i remeove the ugly floppy yellow one?

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the aerial roots are silvery-green, there's no reason to remove them. If they're broken or diseased, leave as much healthy root as you can and slice them off with a sterile blade.

The yellow leaf will fall off on it's own in a week or two or three - there really isn't any reason to do anthing about it. I suppose you can trim it if you really feel the need (don't trim too close to the stem). You can expect the "in-between" leaf to yellow and fall off, too. Leaves rarely recover.

If the new plant were well established, I'd say that you could probably remove the yellow leaf by hand, by gently spreading and pulling at the base. But since the plant has already been shocked, I'd just leave it alone and let the leaves come off when they're ready.

Have fun and be patient with them [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

Ageing is not a problem, ageing is a privilege.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12