Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I GOT ONE, I GOT ONE!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

A few questions...

It is in a plastic see thru pot, I want to repot because it looks nasty... I should wait till after the flowers die, right? What do I repot it into? What kind of medium?

Fertilizer... Do I have to use orchid fertilizer, or can I just live? How long can i go without it? I dont wanna splurge TOO much on this pay...

Roots... There are dangly fat things coming out the top of the pot... Are these roots? Are they supposed to be out?

It is beside a venus flytrap, a few sarrs, and two nepenthes, it should be OK, condition-wise, right?

I think those are all the questions... I'll try to get a pic, but it will be a while, guarenteed... TTYL, and thanks for answers!!! I'm so excited now!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the International Society of Orchid Loonies! [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

See thru plastic pots are used so that you can keep track of root growth and see how much moisture is in the pot. They are usually considered a Good Thing. But, if you want to re-pot: definitely wait until the flowers fade and the flower spike dies. You should start seeing the tips of new roots emerging from the stalk - that's the best time to re-pot (be careful of the root tips - they're fragile). Phals need a airy mixture with some moisture retention, so bark chips with a small amount of dry sphagnum is a common medium. There are lots of others, of course. The key is that the roots should just dry out between waterings - you'll know because they regain the silvery sheen. (Those silvery-green things are roots and aerial roots are perfectly normal.) You should match the medium to your watering schedule. Use quick drying medium if you're going to water several times a week and a water-retentive medium if you're going to water less frequently.

As far as fertilizer, if your mixture is mainly bark, then you want to use high-nitrogen fertilizer, like 30-10-10 (as bark decomposes, it absorbes nitrogen, so high nitrogen fertilizer evens things out). If you use another mix, like pure sphagnum (I don't recommend it - it's hard to keep the correct wetness/dryness ratio) or a peat-based mix, then you want to use a balanced fertilizer, like 10-10-10. Don't fertilize at all for 3 or 4 weeks after you re-pot as the roots need to re-grow and the fertilizer can burn them.

Normally, you want to fertilize at half strength every three or four waterings, more often when the plant is in active growth, less when it's not.

As far as your growing conditions, Phals are considered medium to low light orchids, maybe 1200 to 1500 foot-candles. They like moderate humidity and household temperatures. All of which makes them ideal kitchen windowsill plants.

Good luck and enjoy it. [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

Ageing is not a problem, ageing is a privilege.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pot does not have holes in the side, this is still good?

I really do want to repot because it looks sooo messy. I'm sure that it is fine, but the plant is off center, there is green (algea stains) on the inside, crumbling medium coming out the top... I dunno, it dont like it, the plant is gonna fall off the edge of the pot soon if it grows fast. I'll use the same pot... So, bark and dry LFS? How do I water it exactly? Do i need rain or distilled like CPs?

Thank you by the way for all that information!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, okay, re-pot it [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] Just wait until the blooming's over.

If you're going to use the same pot, you're probably not going to be able to center the plant - a healthy root system is going to fill the pot with thick, brittle roots. So you'll either have to get a bigger pot or leave it off-center...

Anyway, an orchid pot doesn't have to have holes in the sides - it all has to do with air circulation. Some of mine have side holes and some of them don't. Just be sure there's plenty of air space in the medium.

To answer your question about watering: Orchids need "good" water. Rainwater is ideal. If your tap water is soft (mine is), you should be able to use it for orchids (I do) - just let it stand for 24 hours to remove the chlorine and for it to become room temperature.

When you water, pour the water thru the medium until it runs freely out the bottom of the pot. This helps to wash away any accumulted salts. The water should be coming out the bottom of the pot as fast as you're pouring it in the top.
    Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

Ageing is not a problem, ageing is a privilege.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, so water it over a bowl, or the sink or somthing?
    Thanks...

[img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on your new orchid, Parasuco! I water my orchids in my sink (although now they are outside). I use the sprayer so the leaves get a nice rinsing and the water runs out down the sink. (Except for the phrag which prefers distilled water). I know some people that submerge their orchids into a bucket of water and leave them there for a while, then take out and drain.

Your phal should do fine. [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Suzanne
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WAIT, I think I got the genus wrong... Maybe... Its the common kind with lots of flowers, not with the pouch...

Teach me Genus names, PLEEEEEEEEEEEEBBBSS!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is propably a Phalaenopsis, Phal. Paphiopedilum's, Paph, are the ones with the "pouches" Both have the wide strap like leaves, but the Paphs roots usally don't come out of the pot like the Paph's. I have only seen the Paph's for sale at speciality garden centers and orchid shows. If any one is interested Marriot Orchid's in North Carliona sells the Paph's at reasonable prices. I have only purchased from him at shows and at his nursery so I can't comment on ordering from him by mail.
    Marjorie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast