What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cirrhopetalum flowering!

Wow Sounds like you could be giving Jerry some lessons in Nepenthese culture. Hes had those same N. rajah for at least 6 years!
I must say I agree with you, Ive always felt Most of the Neps there could have been grown in higher light.
Man it sounds like you got a nice deal, 5 plants for the price of one. You know if you had bought that plant from Jerry he would have charged you for 5 plants! Or maybe hed give you a deal and only charge you twice the price.
wink.gif

Ive been planing on converting my entire basement into a growing room for CPs and gesneriads to offset the cost of my hobby and suppliment my living with the eventuality of turnig it in to a full time business. Of course id be growing in much more than just my basement by then.

Peace
biggrin.gif

There was only one plant when I received it, the offshoots started appearing a while after potting it. Perhaps there were tiny slivers of plantlets at the base which I just didn't notice but I did only order one and received one 3" plant. It's now about the size of OL's rajahs and I've had mine for about 6 months (not years) so that's why I assumed his were new arrivals. Some of my lowland neps: N. truncata, N. eustachya and N. northiana all grow slower than N. rajah and N. hamata who are highland plants and are said to be slow growers but actually do grow relatively fast.

I wish I had a basement! It would be an indoor jungle for sure!
biggrin.gif

Your N. truncata is slower than your N. rajah, WOW.
We could never get those #### N. truncatas to stop growing
Those things get huge!
I used to feed toads to them! I wouldnt normally recommend this to most people unless the plant is really big. And even then I would never actually feed them live toads, only ones that had been stepped on.
wow.gif

Sorry if Im being too morbid.

Peace
biggrin.gif

i would have to agree with Josh the rajah i have is faster in putting out leaves than the truncata i have. actaully it is faster than most of the other plants i grow.

heck with feeding some of the larger pitchers. i would of just dropped it in alive. most of the time frog get out anyway due to they have that sticky feet to climb vertical.

Josh i would show off your rajah to jerry that might just get you that job there

Toads? heh heh! I suppose a good use for ones who'd been inadvertently squished anyway. Did the toads come up from underground in the spring into the GH?

Yeah it's weird but my truncata that I got from OL at about 3" in size is very slow, it makes big pitchers (about twice the size of the leaves) but my rajah puts out at least one and sometimes two leaves for every leaf the truncata puts out. Most lowlanders I have grow rather fast but this one was one of my first neps (I think my 3rd one) and it's just plodding along and remains one of the smallest in my collection, next to the non growing ventricosa. My bicalcarata has grown many times the size (diameter) of the truncata in just 6 months compared to having the truncata for over a year or so; truncata 6-7" / bical 30-36"!

Yes the toads do come into the GH in the spring, but they seem to be there all year to a lesser extant.

As for a job there I wouldnt suggest it.
Hes a niuce guy to buy from, not to work for. Ask anyone that does and theyll give you the LD.

Peace

Back